Uh Oh.. What did I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BB-

Reaction score
This is floating in my fermenter? Did I screw up? BTW I had a hard time cooling the wort because our ground water is so hot right now and my pre-chiller wasn't as effective as I had hoped. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411085388.263765.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411085400.862355.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not very experienced brewer here, but that just looks like gobs of yeast to me. you should be fine, if you look at the infection thread you can get a good idea of what an actual infection looks like.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Looks like hop flowers to me. I'm guessing you didn't add whole hops though.

Might just be cold break, proteins clumping and forming. That's totally normal and will go away. This stuff can take some odd forms. Search cold break and you'll see.

RDWHAHB.

Just a tip as far as using ice or a pre chiller or what not to cool wort.

Go as painfully far as you can go with whatever temp your tap water is. 80F water is plenty effective at bringing wort from 212 to 90. Only use ice when you've really hit the bottom on what your tap water will do. Otherwise you'll waste all your ice just sort of kind of speeding up how fast you get from 212 to 150, and you'll still get stuck around 80F.

Here's a quick suggestion. Park the carboy in the corner when this brew is done and start using a bucket fermenter. That way you won't see what is happening until the beer is ready to bottle. Fermentation can be ugly so don't look at it. Infections in primary are quite rare and would usually be from poor sanitation.

It's cold break, dog. Did you add some top off water? Looks like it's just on the top layer.

I asked the very same question years ago when I was doing partial boil. I think it was my second or third solo batch. The whole fermenter was a cloud of cold break. I was using the old "wet towel in a plastic basin with a box fan" setup back then. /csb

No top off water. Because the water flowing through my counterflow was too warm to cool the wort I ended up sealing up the carboy and throwing it in the ol chest freezer for a bit to cool it down to pitching temps.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back