Uh oh, infection? (Pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskier

Reaction score
The cloudy film is just some yeast that ran down the inside of the better bottle, but I'm worried about those white blobs on the surface. Is that just yeast? I used WLP830 German Lager Yeast. I've gotten a slow "glug" since about 3-4 hours after pitching. That's increased to about 1 glug every 5 seconds, and it's been about 15 hours. The krausen hasn't started rising yet, though.

Anything to worry about? Or does this look normal?

scaled.php

This is the yeast kicking up. As fermentation begins, this stuff will rise to the surface and soon you'll have krausen.

Your freezer needs more rust. And a lot of odd glop and mold down there. And some random hop pellets floating in a bunch of nasty condensation. Way, way too clean. You wouldn't believe the crap at the bottom of my chest freezer.

(oh that looks pretty normal to me inside the carboy; carry on marine)

Your freezer needs more rust. And a lot of odd glop and mold down there. And some random hop pellets floating in a bunch of nasty condensation. Way, way too clean. You wouldn't believe the crap at the bottom of my chest freezer.

(oh that looks pretty normal to me inside the carboy; carry on marine)

Hah, thanks. Believe me, it wasn't always so clean! I didn't use it for about 6 months and opened it up one day.... I almost fainted after I saw all the black mold growing inside. I eventually dumped a ton of bleach in there and let it soak for a few days. Scrubbed it out clean, and I use damprid to get rid of excess moisture now. Seems to have made a big improvement.

It's actually not as clean as the picture suggests. The flash of the camera helped out, some. There are some pits full of black gunk I can't quite clean out, but they are mostly minor. Some of the chrome plating has rubbed away in a few places, too. Not too bad considering I've owned and operated it for about 5 years, though.

Looks like you guys were right, I've got a nice thick layer of krausen now, and the glugs are 1-2 seconds apart. Steady 51 degrees. All looks good at this point.

I had a 3.5 liter starter on a stir plate for over 24 hours, then I cold crashed for about 20 hours. Still, I'm worried I threw out some yeast. Next time I may cold crash longer, or make my starter a few days earlier. Hopefully I didn't underpitch.... I noticed minor airlock activity within 4 hours of pitching, so that's a good sign. It didn't really get started until 16 hours or so.

Latest posts

Back