Uh Oh! i think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
ok this is my first time I used a carboy to ferment so I don't know if this looks right. I used danstar Munich. I rehydrated as per the instructions and pitched at 70 degrees. looks like a lot of dead yeast in the bottom. this after 8 hours at 68-70 degrees. what do ya think?

image-3268056102.jpg

looks like yeast, but they aren't dead.

they're in the "growth" phase. meaning that, if you aerated and provided the little beasties with some oxygen, they're eating sugars and reproducing.

when the oxygen is all gone, then they start making alcohol

looks like yeast, but they aren't dead.

they're in the "growth" phase. meaning that, if you aerated and provided the little beasties with some oxygen, they're eating sugars and reproducing.

when the oxygen is all gone, then they start making alcohol

ok cool. never seen the behind the scenes.thanks

I had a freak out moment, too, the first time I fermented in a carboy. The things you see make you think something is going on that shouldn't be happening. I've learned a few things from homebrewing. One of those being, if you give yeast sugar, they know what to do with it.

haha had to do an emergent tube to catch the explosive ferment. man was I wrong.

image-1065311895.jpg

so looks like a reverse yeast cake. it was such a cool violent ferment but now what to do. just leave it be, I know, but does it matter if the top has all that in it

image-730125532.jpg

Nope - that's typical after a carboy ferment. It'll stay there nicely through racking...just remnants of your ferment and zero to worry about. Perfectly normal.

Nope - that's typical after a carboy ferment. It'll stay there nicely through racking...just remnants of your ferment and zero to worry about. Perfectly normal.

ok cool. im going to collect the yeast after bottling so ive been watching what i due

Back