Uh, oh. How to Move 30+ Gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I am in a serious pickle. At the end of July I HAVE to move. Everything has to go, including the Mead/Wine/Cider/Skeeter and It's all in carboys.

What the hell do I do? Has anyone ever been through this before?
Is this just a case of Black Garbage Bags, Rolls and Rolls of Bubble Wrap and Very cautious driving? Is there more to it? There is no way I can bottle more than two carboys by that time so it's basically all or nothing. I have as many milk crates as I need, and bubble Wrap is cheap, so I think it's doable.

My current Plan of Attack is to Rack EVERYTHING into a clean, fresh, carboy so there is no sediment to disturb and fill any headspace that may be in them with Lots of Co2.

Does that sound like enough precaution? I am really nervous about this.

Have a going away party?
you are packing in glass right? If i had co2 i would use buckets, and less headspace in the carboys gives less stress when its rolling around

You probably be fine if you fill the space in your crates

maybe put solid bungs in just for the duration of the move?
And vent as needed during the move, I didn't see how far the move is.
Light and heat might be other concerns, but you have black bags to put over them.

Maybe carboy>bag>bubble wrap>milk crate> then some cardboard as a shade?

I really don't see the problem... They are in carboys, you have milk crates... pick them up, put them in vehicle, travel, stop worrying.

I really don't see the problem... They are in carboys, you have milk crates... pick them up, put them in vehicle, travel, stop worrying.

+1, that's the best advice so far. If any of those 30 gallons are ready for bottling, I'd bottle it. Otherwise it's milk crates, blankets & care. Regards, GF.

Don't do any "General Lee" railroad bridge jumps and you should be fine. I just moved 10 cases of bottled wine and the bouncing around REALLY caused sediment to drop. I thought my wine was pretty clear, but not any more.

I am just letting it rest for a while before opening any (if I could only get my wife to follow along).

Yeah, after sleeping on it I'm not going to sweat it.

I am going to use bubble wrap around the carboys, with some extra to fill up the wiggle room in the milk crates and some garbage bags to cover them up with.

I don't have any kegs, unfortunately, I use the Co2 to fill any small amounts of headspace. I would be looking at a couple Hundred $$$ in corny keg's, so I'll pass on that for now.

I don't know where I'll be going so I don't know the distance, I just know I have to leave. I should be entering the Highway Patrol academy within the next two months, so I may have to move everything earlier than July. Maybe a small air-conditioned storage unit would work? I'll just come back and pick them up when I've found a new home.

Personally - for transport.. you want no (or absolute minimum) airspace to slosh around and cause things to tip over.... I would top them up to ~1/4" of the bung..... Put the air lock back in when it's back out of transport....

If you could do it - consider some sort of climate controlled storage unit till you can get the whole move sorted out.....

Also - consider refrigerator/appliance/large children's toys cardboard boxes... You want to avoid attention.... While what you are doing is Legal... rolling around carboys full of wine will certainly attract attention... Better to have a box that says "Laundry Room" written in black magic marker....

Thanks

Latest posts

Back