Ugly Kegs -- What can I do to make the handles look better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
20180525_114451[1].jpg
I have three old pin lock kegs that have really nasty looking rubber handles and bases. They are good operationally and internally, but look like crap.

Does anyone have any ideas on a way to clean them up? I have wire brushed them to remove as much oxidized rubber as possible, but they still look bad.

I think I may just mask them and spray paint the collar and base.

Great question! I get black smears on my hands every time I move my kegs. I've considered using one of the auto tire treatments on them, but haven't done anything yet so I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you get.

I use Mothers Back to Black trim and plastic restorer. Bottle says works on all colors. Works well and now I don't get smears on my hands.

I masked them, wiped them with auto paint pre-clean then spray painted them. They are drying. Pictures to follow.

I used Plasti Dip to restore mine. They went from looking like the ops to black like any other keg. The Plasti Dip seems to hold up well (I did it over a year ago) and the texture great.

I think I may just mask them and spray paint the collar and base.[/QUOTE]
I masked them, wiped them with auto paint pre-clean then spray painted them. They are drying. Pictures to follow.

After masking and painting them they turned out looking pretty good. Here are some before and after pictures.

FYI, When I put them back together I also replaced the O-Rings on the dip tubes and connectors. There is a picture of the O-Ring sizes I purchased at Menards. #9 and #83 with the dimensions. You can get 10 O-Rings for under $2 in these packages.

20180525_114451[1].jpg
20180526_115656[1].jpg
20180526_185438[1].jpg
20180526_185431[1].jpg
20180526_185725[1].jpg

BitterSweetBrews, that is some awesome keg restoration.
Thanks for the info on the O-rings.
While I fully support my HBS for ingredients and specific brewing supplies, any hardware items are outrageously expensive there. Good to find these at box stores in the sizes we need.

BitterSweetBrews, that is some awesome keg restoration.
Thanks for the info on the O-rings.
While I fully support my HBS for ingredients and specific brewing supplies, any hardware items are outrageously expensive there. Good to find these at box stores in the sizes we need.
I agree.

I love my LHBS and am friends with the owners. I buy all my supplies, chemicals and a lot of misc. stuff from them. But, I still look for good deals on equipment, parts and pieces because I am frugal.

Back