Ugh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupwalker

Reaction score
Got a brewers beast kit from our daughter and her husband for xmas, first batch turned out GREAT!
Started a second batch on Saturday... while finishing off last bottles of first batch, got it into the ferminator barrel, set up the airlock, and placed in our "brewing area" , Sunday morning found the yeast packet sitting on the kitchen counter! Had dear hubby pry off the lid, my hands not strong enough! but did mix in the yeast, airlock started bubbling on Monday, but what I want to know is did I ruin the beer???:(

Not at all an expert here, but it sounds like everything should be fine. As long as everything was sterilized when it was opened up there should be no problem with your wort sitting for a bit.

Got a brewers beast kit from our daughter and her husband for xmas, first batch turned out GREAT!

Started a second batch on Saturday... while finishing off last bottles of first batch, got it into the ferminator barrel, set up the airlock, and placed in our "brewing area" , Sunday morning found the yeast packet sitting on the kitchen counter! Had dear hubby pry off the lid, my hands not strong enough! but did mix in the yeast, airlock started bubbling on Monday, but what I want to know is did I ruin the beer???:(

Nothing here to indicate a problem. Relax, don't worry!

You poured the yeast in the beer and mixed it? Next time do not do that...ever. You will oxygenate your beer and it is unnecessary to mix yeast into wort like that.

You likely did not ruin the beer. A lot of folks will use a no chill method where wort sits and chills without the use of chillers. Then they pitch yeast. I think you will be okay. Give it 7-10 days, open the bucket and take a gravity reading. At that point you'll know you're okay if there is no infection. I personally think you're okay.

Congrats on the second batch of beer!

PS keep a gallon or more jug of star san around or at least a spray bottle with that stuff in there so when you open your bucket you can spray the lid and such (and the yeast package you opened and dumped in). You only need to worry about sanitization.

You poured the yeast in the beer and mixed it? Next time do not do that...ever. You will oxygenate your beer and it is unnecessary to mix yeast into wort like that.

Before the yeast is pitched, it is advisable to aerate. Yeast need oxygen for growth. After you pitch the yeast, don't mix, stir, slosh, etcetera...I agree that it was probably unnecessary to stir in this case, but no harm done IMO.

This is only true AFTER fermentation has started.

You likely did not ruin the beer. A lot of folks will use a no chill method where wort sits and chills without the use of chillers. Then they pitch yeast. I think you will be okay. Give it 7-10 days, open the bucket and take a gravity reading. At that point you'll know you're okay if there is no infection. I personally think you're okay.

Congrats on the second batch of beer!

PS keep a gallon or more jug of star san around or at least a spray bottle with that stuff in there so when you open your bucket you can spray the lid and such (and the yeast package you opened and dumped in). You only need to worry about sanitization.

If it was dry yeast you are good. Rehydrating the yeast would have been better.

If liquid yeast you should have made a starter and aerated the wort.

In any case it will most likely ferment and should produce a decent beer. As you learn the process and make improvements your good beers should get better.

Can you good folks tell me more about the "no chill" method??? do you leave in the brew pot? do you put in first bucket and add water at that point? cover brew pot while still hot to keep yuckies out???

Can you good folks tell me more about the "no chill" method??? do you leave in the brew pot? do you put in first bucket and add water at that point? cover brew pot while still hot to keep yuckies out???

There are lots of way to do no chill. Just search this forum on no chill brewing and you will find a ton of good info. I've done a few batches of no chill. Basically, get one of these http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31615 and pour the boiling hot wort in, squeeze all the air out and seal. Let the wort come down to room temp (24 hours). Pour into fermentation vessel add yeast and proceed as normal.

Please keep in mind that "no chill" throws off your hop schedule for a variety of reasons, so please do some research on "no chill" and adjusting your hop schedule. I think the jist is you need to bump your hop schedule forward 15 minutes (60 min hops now go to 45 minute hops and flameout additions get bumped to First Wort Hop addition). Personally, I only tried no chill on malty styles that WERE NOT hop forward, so I didn't have to worry about screwing up my hoppy beers.

There's also a method of chilling that I just learned about recently, but haven't tried that might appeal to you. This should work well if you're doing a extract brew.

Boil some water, and a sanitize a container. Put the water in the container and freeze it. Then when it comes time to cool your wort, just put the chunk of ice in the wort and let it cool.

Like I mentioned, I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not really sure how much ice you would wind up needing. I just thought it was a creative way to do it.

For no chill, I just put a couple pieces of sanitized aluminum foil over the top of my pot after boiling. Then let it sit overnight & rack to my carboy and pitch the yeast the next morning or evening or whenever I have time. No problems so far, and mighty tasty beers.

I think we will try the sanitized foil idea, what about sanitizing the lid that came with the pot?? or would that hold in the heat too much?
I have been cooling by putting the brew pot in an ice and water bath, using a 45 gal grain tub...
so far have not had dog or cat hair in our beer!

oxygenating/aerating within 24 hours (I've heard up to 48) AFTER pitching is fine

did a pumpkin barleywine with an additional aeration 1 day after pitching and 10 months later there are absolutely NO signs of oxidation. over attenuated to 14.5%, so it's got a little alcohol burn to it, plus maybe used a bit too much spice, but neither of those issues have anything to do with stirring it after pitching

Back