UFO Raspberry reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunzio42

Reaction score
Hi, my wife and i took our honeymoon up in northeast, we visited the Harpoon brewery and she fell in love with the UFO RASPBERRY, we live in Florida so we don't get it down here. wondering if anyone has a clone recipe for it? Id love to surprise her with it.

Just got done with my 1st batch (dogfish 60 min clone, with orange peel cooked into the beer) turned out really good!

any help is appreciated! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I find Harpoon's UFO to be a fairly textbook hefewiezen... the plain version anyway... I'd imagine you'd have good luck with an average hefe kit with raspberry puree/extract added to the secondary.

add fresh respberries that you put in the freezer overnight to secondary. about 2# for a 5gal batch.

so you wouldn't think boiling them for the last 10 mins of the batch would be necessary? That would probably effect the taste of them....

So make a typical Hef, and then add the raspberry (frozen or puree) in the fermentation stage.....?

Thanks for the help!

so you wouldn't think boiling them for the last 10 mins of the batch would be necessary? That would probably effect the taste of them....

So make a typical Hef, and then add the raspberry (frozen or puree) in the fermentation stage.....?

Thanks for the help!

Add the raspberry after the fermentation stage add it when you rack to the secondary.

Thanks for the help!

You don't want to add the raspberries to the primary, ESPECIALLY if you don't pasteurize them. I am considering adding raspberries to my Belgian Wit (which is currently in primary) and if I do so, I plan on making a puree from fresh raspberries in my blender. Then boiling the raspberry puree on the stove (being careful not to scorch it) for 10 minutes to pasteurize it. I will then add it to my secondary. If you add it to your primary, the CO2 will carry away a lot of the raspberry aroma that you're going to want.

I've heard that boiling the fruit will set the pectin which you don't want. Pasteurizing should involve raising the temperature to 160-170 for about 5 minutes, which will kill off the nasties for sure and you won't have problems with pectin.

I've heard that boiling the fruit will set the pectin which you don't want. Pasteurizing should involve raising the temperature to 160-170 for about 5 minutes, which will kill off the nasties for sure and you won't have problems with pectin.

+1 This is a good point. Thank you for clarifying that.

Back