Types of juice for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanyork

Reaction score
Looking to make a few different types of ciders. Wondering what juices to use or what combinations would be tasty. Anyone have any different tried and tested ciders? I was thinking about apple strawberry..hmm..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

I just did an apple/strawberry, it came out nice. The strawberry flavor is there but in the background. My favorite is peach/apple, really great. I've also tried blackberry/apple and liked it.

Frank

Made a Honeycrisp Apple Juice one that tasted great! Bottling a Strawberry Banana Juicy Juice one tomorrow. Every time I've used Juicy Juice in a cider or mead, its come out delicious, planning to use that more often, they have lots of good flavors!

I wonder what a grape cider would taste like?

Carbonated wine would be pretty good. You could mix it with apple juice for a unique flavor. I bought the juice for a batch of "apple cherry" but the cherry has pear, cranberry, and cherry juice in it. Should be tasty. Mixing it 50/50 and going to use safale us 05 yeast

Is juicy juice a juice or juice drink? And if its a juice drink what ratio to a full juice do you do??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Juicy juice is 100% juice, not sure if it has any preservatives.

Apple/Cranberry/Pomegranate (Highly successful with multiple medals)
Apple/Tart Cherry (successful enough to do again)
Apple/Blueberry (wife's favorite and successful)
Apple/Cranberry/Blueberry (wife's second favorite and successful)
Apple/Triple Berry (Blue/Black/Raspberry) (one of my personal favorites but juice is expensive/hard to find so I only make small batches)

I have also done a fair number of spiced ciders and a vanilla apple cider with differing levels of success.

I've been making 3:1 apple/cherry that I've been happy with with a FG around 1.01 and bottle pasteurization.

I'm still figuring out apple and cranberry combinations that I'm happy with. It's hard to figure out a good acid profile. I've also been finding that the cranberry juice additions seems to make the cider very slow to clear. It may require more peptic enzyme than I've been adding or use of other fining agents.

It sounds like you guys are very experienced with making cider. I have only made one batch of apple cider so I'm new. What types of yeast do you guys prefer?

I like a dry cider, so I use red star Montrachet.

I have heard Nottingham is a popular beer yeast to use, which might make it sweeter if you add enough sugar.

Apple/Triple Berry (Blue/Black/Raspberry) (one of my personal favorites but juice is expensive/hard to find so I only make small batches)

Dude, get Old Orchard Berry Blend. You can get at most grocery stores same price as cran pom or other juices. 100% juice w no preservatives. Ive made mead and skeeter pee with it, tastes amazing before and after fermenting.

I may have to try this now...

Back