Two packets of same kind of yeast are different colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
I just received 2 packets of WLP029. One of them was darker and thicker than the other. Both were well within their use by date. Should i have any concerns for off flavors or problems pitching? I have a starter for both of them going, so i'm hoping that will alleviate any issues.

Is the packaging that is darker or the yeast slurry itself? If within use by date, then you shouldn't worry, as they would be viable, unless the one package is damaged, in which case you would have noticed something wrong, like a leak, a funky smell when opening it, etc.

Is the packaging that is darker or the yeast slurry itself? If within use by date, then you shouldn't worry, as they would be viable, unless the one package is damaged, in which case you would have noticed something wrong, like a leak, a funky smell when opening it, etc.

The slurry itself is darker. There were no off odors as far as I can tell. I'm not overly concerned, but it seems atypical for a product whose quality is so tightly controlled.

The slurry itself is darker. There were no off odors as far as I can tell. I'm not overly concerned, but it seems atypical for a product whose quality is so tightly controlled.
Did they have different manufacturing dates and lot#s?

Older yeast becomes darker, also depending on how it was handled and stored since packaging. Chances are they're both fine, but for clarification you could reach out to White Labs, providing the lot#s.

A couple weeks ago I revived 2 PurePitch packs of 2 different strains of Lager yeasts from the back of my fridge. They were well over 2 years old, fairly dark, but came back in full glory with 3 step starters. I now got 1/2" of beautiful light-colored yeast in each 1/2 gallon jar.

You may need to keep them stirring a few days longer. I always wait for the color to become a lot lighter, it seems to happen rather suddenly, then give it at least 24, and usually 48 more hours on the stir plate or shaker before cold crashing.

Did they have different manufacturing dates and lot#s?

Older yeast becomes darker, also depending on how it was handled and stored since packaging. Chances are they're both fine, but for clarification you could reach out to White Labs, providing the lot#s.

A couple weeks ago I revived 2 PurePitch packs of 2 different strains of Lager yeasts from the back of my fridge. They were well over 2 years old, fairly dark, but came back in full glory with 3 step starters. I now got 1/2" of beautiful light-colored yeast in each 1/2 gallon jar.

You may need to keep them stirring a few days longer. I always wait for the color to become a lot lighter, it seems to happen rather suddenly, then give it at least 24, and usually 48 more hours on the stir plate or shaker before cold crashing.

They had different dates, so I would assume lot #s as well. I didn't take any pics. I've already brewed and pitched. Both carboys fermented along happily so I guess all is well until I can check gravity and flavor next week sometime.

The slurry in the purepitch darkens in the fridge as time passes and I have not noticed any ill effects from this. I have also noticed that starters I have refrigerated and stored for many months also tend to get darker. But they smell and work just fine come pitching time.

A sign on the yeast fridge at my lhbs mentions a darker WL product due to process changes. I wonder if you received a pack from before and after such changes? I just picked up a pack of 833 and it was pretty dark, but also bought 838 and it was much lighter in color. Different yeast, so that could explain the observation. Similar dates. Both performed well in starters.

Last edited:
Back