Two heatsticks off one PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for using the search function on the app or using google.

So, I am building an e-Herms and I am in the last phase of putting it together. I have two 120v, 2000w heat sticks that I will be using to control the HLT temperature during the mash. I am a complete novice and know little to nothing about PID's, SSR's, temperature control, etc.

If I were to get this:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=237

Would it be able to control both heat sticks at the same time? What would I need to do to accomplish this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, you can control 2 heat sticks by one PID. To do it you need to have access either to 30A 240V service (but in this case you can use just one 4500Watt element) or to two 120 15A outlets connected to separate breakers.
In last case you need to have two SSRs controlled by one PID.

thats how my electric system is, just need to wire 2 SSR's into two separate circuits

Back