Two different sparge techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesweetlycool

Reaction score
I've heard two types of sparge techniques online. The first is what we've done on our first two All-grain batches and that is to add the sparge water slowly as the wort drains into the boiling pot.

The other technique is to completely drain the wort, then add the sparge water, and drain again.

i was just wondering if the two ways would work about the same.. or if you've had problems with one way or the other.

The first is what we've done on our first two All-grain batches and that is to add the sparge water slowly as the wort drains into the boiling pot.

This is "fly sparge"

The other technique is to completely drain the wort, then add the sparge water, and drain again.

This is "batch sparge"

Many people successfully brew using these techniques. Search around in the forums for these terms and you'll come up with a lot of useful information. It's how I am learning.

Check out some of the "similar thread" links at the bottom. Lots of info on here about batch and fly sparging.

Just create a thread titled "Fly Spargers rule, and batch spargers are retarded".

Somewhere in the following 20 pages you'll see every possible answer to your question that could possibly ever be conceived by mortal man.

Actually there are more ways to sparge than just batch and fly, those are just the most common, and hotly debated...but on Australian Craft Brewer Radio there is a good podcast on some of the lesser known ways.

August#1,2006

Yet another long program that wont bore you. Listen to our brewmaster have yet another rant, this time on binge drinking. There is an interview with a craftbrewer from Spain, and we sample a truly disgusting beer. Think you know all the methods of sparging, well the boys may surprise you. Share your funiest beer stories and win a great prize, and yet another requested song rounds out the program.

Click to play- MP-3

i just made a newcastle clone and it was only 10.25 # of grain so i used my 10gal cooler instead of the keggle. i used a batch sparge technique and got 89% eff!!!!!!!!!!!! worked way better than i thought. those coolers are super insulated too! the temperature actually climbed about 6 times from all the heat created from the starch conversions, but anyways, it works well.

Just create a thread titled "Fly Spargers rule, and batch spargers are retarded".

Somewhere in the following 20 pages you'll see every possible answer to your question that could possibly ever be conceived by mortal man.

I almost peed myself!! That is the funniest thing I have read/heard in at least 24 hours! Maybe 48!:mug:

Give that man a beer! :mug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbish View Post

Give that man a beer

Read it again, and still laughing!

Back