Twine or Wire, any difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Noob to hop growing, started last year using twine from ground to second story eaves. The twine did not fair well over the winter, and I have a spool of fencing wire that I am thinking of using this year. Do the hops care what they cling to? Can they equally climb smooth wire as they do twine?

Thanks -

They have little tiny 'climbing hooks' that need a nook or cranny to sink into. Natural fiber is good.

The coconut-shell based product called coir works really well and will last a few years. The hop sellers also sell that as well and it is worth it. I don't think nylon or wire would be appropriate as they are too slippery. Thick cotton or fiber based would be best u think. But, ymmv.

I wanna say wire would work but twine is way easier for the hops to climb and would require less training on your part. Not sure about prices where you are but my local hardware store(Value Homecenter) Has a 500' roll of jute twine for like $7. This stuff is great nice and rough for the hops to cling to, biodegradeable, and cheap enough that you can double lines up if you want and probably have enough for several seasons(unless u are like me who loses theirs constantly. Lol I buy 2 rolls every season)

I strung a braided/twisted nylon string and was wondering it it will be ok? Had considered using hemp or something along the same line but my cascade needed to be on a string and the nylon was here so I used it! The cascade is doing fine on it and is 4-5' already but I think cascade would climb anything..

I got the coir yarn stuff from freshops.com the shipping seemed a bit much so I went with 2 orders of it; this will last me for 4 years if I decide to be lazy and just toss the strings each year. The shipment did arrive pretty quick though.. I think within 3-4 days.

Wire would not provide a sufficient texture unless there were horizontal "steps". I'll be using Sisal (Agave sisalana) twine for my first season. It looks thin so I'll triple up to be safe. Tent stakes for the bottom should work but is there anything better and cheaper?

JRems said:
I used bailing twine and tent stakes. Works well and was cheap

Tent spike! That's a good idea. I was trying figure out how to tether rope to the ground. The best I came up with was those giant cork screws for tying your dog to.

Tent spike! That's a good idea. I was trying figure out how to tether rope to the ground. The best I came up with was those giant cork screws for tying your dog to.

I use an 18" 2x2, pointed at one end, with a 16D nail pounded on a 45* angle at the other end. Pound the stake at a 45-60* angle with the mail pointing down. You can then wrap your twine around the stake and the nail keeps the twine from sliding off.

I actually used wire on my six plants last year, they were first year so many didn't climb too high but my cascade had no problem climbing the wire 16'. That being said, I think like everyone pointed out the twine would seem like it would work better as they could grip it more.

good information, I just buck up the ten bucks or so and go with twine, but something larger diameter this time.

I think just about any rope will do. Bailing twine is probably the cheapest and you can toss it every year. I use the coir rope from Fresh Hops. Best price I've found and I just order enough for 4 years and save the freight. Plus it is in 20 foot precut length. At the ground I use old welding rods. Remove the flux, as most of it falls off when bending. Had a guy give me a can that got wet and the rods were junk. Bend in a U and wrap the rope, shove into the ground. They work great! Cut back the first growth and already my hops are 3' and growing. Man this is early for them. Maybe it will help them grow huge!

Back