Tutankhamun Ale anybody made it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgimpkins

Reaction score
For pure curiosity into what the Egyptians were drinking, I am interested in making Tutankhamun Ale. If you do not know the story check this out, it is an interesting story: Tutankhamun Ale Story

Here is the BYO recipe:

Tutankhamun Ale
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.060 (14.7 °P)
FG = 1.014 (3.6 °P)
SRM = 4–5 ABV = 6.0%

Ingredients
5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) white wheat malt
7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg) pale 2-row malt
0.35 oz. (10 g) coriander seeds
0.35 oz. (10 g) juniper berries
White Labs WLP500 (Trappist Ale) or Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Abbey) yeast

Step by Step
Mash the ground grain at 150–152 °F (66–67 °C) for 90 mins. Sparge so as to collect 5.0 gallons (19 L) of wort; bring to boiling and keep it there for 15 minutes, or until hot break is clearly visible. Crush the coriander and juniper and boil a further 10 mins, then switch off heat, cool to fermentation temperature and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65–70 °F (18–21 °C) for 5–7 days before racking to secondary for a further 1–2 weeks. Keg or bottle and shoot for 2–2.5 volumes CO2.

Has anybody made this? If so what did you think of it? I've never made a beer "hopped" with juniper berries, in addition I am not a big fan of gin, which makes me skeptical as to if I would even find this beer drinkable.

I am squeamish to make 5 gallons of something I may end up dumping in the yard, so when I get around to brewing it, I will probably attempt to make a gallon or two.

Back