turning blood into alcohol (this is a serious thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
im wondering if it is possible to purchase animal blood and basically turn it into an alcohol by adding sugar and then yeast?

maybe the reasons why not are obvious, but if it were boiled to make it inert like wort, and had enough sugar added for an og of around 1.09 + then say wine yeast added would that work? or would it still go off somehow?

in all likelihood will not try this as i feel there may be some reason why blood wont work due to PH or who knows what, but interested in knowing, and perhaps trying

wouldnt it coagulate before the fermentation ended?

gross

Yes. Definitely. No scientific reason you shouldn't do that. And if there is, the science is wrong.

You should try it.

Just for discussion let me say this. When I take a steak/chicken breast from the styrofoam try and put that and the plastic with the blood on it in the trash by the next day the smell is horrible, and that even happens if I rinse them first. How would you prevent the blood from going bad and smelling bad, really bad?

Just for discussion let me say this. When I take a steak/chicken breast from the styrofoam try and put that and the plastic with the blood on it in the trash by the next day the smell is horrible, and that even happens if I rinse them first. How would you prevent the blood from going bad and smelling bad, really bad?

Hops, they're a preservative, right?

(I'm kidding)

I just found this on Tavern Trove....

Bucket-Of-Blood-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-Grace-Bros-Brewing-Co_49792-1.jpg

I do not want to move to Forks!!

No, you don't. I grew up in Forks and you definitely don't want to move there.
I can safely say that in the decades I lived there, I never saw a single vampire or werewolf. Lots of mutants and trolls, but that's it.

Oh, and if you add sugar and yeast to blood, it won't turn into alcohol. It would turn into blood with some alcohol in it maybe, but the blood doesn't just go away.

Of course the blood will be boiled, so maybe it won't go bad so quickly.

Can't boil blood without cooking it so if it were 100% blood it would just one big grey lump. But if you added some blood to water and cooked it the same would happen but you would still have a liquid with cooked (non-liquid) grey blood flaoting around in the pot. I assume at that point it would take on the flavor of the cooked meat. Chicken or Beef flavored wort? Kind of like broth or stew at that point. That might be tasty but I would rather eat my steak with a beer than drink it. :drunk:

the haze from all those proteins would be a challenge. and the fat/salts might ruin the head retention. not to mention the color aspect(the red would change to a burnt poop i imagine). but if you have to try, do it and post the results.

You might get a better response if you ask this question over at TedNugent.com.

i'm pretty sure all the appropriate methods have been described in the zombie apacolyple threads. :D

No, you don't. I grew up in Forks and you definitely don't want to move there.
I can safely say that in the decades I lived there, I never saw a single vampire or werewolf. Lots of mutants and trolls, but that's it.

Oh, and if you add sugar and yeast to blood, it won't turn into alcohol. It would turn into blood with some alcohol in it maybe, but the blood doesn't just go away.

Dude, it was bigger than my home town. I grew up in Joyce! :D

Wonder if you could somehow make a dried extract with the blood?

All-Blood gives you more options. You can make good beer with DBE, but there are some styles that you need the ability to mash for. For instance, gall bladders can't convert themselves.

As if anyone could take a thread labelled "Turning Blood into Alcohol" seriously!!! :confused:

The real fred the cat got home from work and caught his son making this thread. That boy is SO grounded. :D

All-Blood allows gives you more options. You can make good beer with DBE, but there are some styles that you need the ability to mash for. For instance, gall bladders can't convert themselves.

This is the best answer EVAH!!!!!! :mug:

All-Blood allows gives you more options. You can make good beer with DBE, but there are some styles that you need the ability to mash for. For instance, gall bladders can't convert themselves.

i did the mash. i did the monster mash. my efficiency was dead on, but i used some lbe(liquor blood extract) to up the abv. ;)

"I think my blood is infected!"

No, those are just clots. That's completely normal. RDWHAPOON (Relax, don't worry, have a pint of O negative)

"I think my blood is infected!"

No, those are just clots. That's completely normal. RDWHAPOON (Relax, don't worry, have a pint of O negative)

Maybe a few ounces of Heparin might do the trick for this recipe?

I should not kid though, I had a blood clot once and my dad is in the hospital right now with a clot in each lung that appears to have come from the clot they found in his leg. He is breathing ok and they expect him to recover. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back