turning an ingredient list inot a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronlalonde

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have this - how od i turn it onto a recipie with grain weights, hop schedule etc?

the is the Rnager Oatmeal pale ale from their site.

TIA

Recipe Type: All-Grain
Batch Size: 5.5 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.054-1.057
Terminal Gravity: 1.010-1.012
IBU: 35
SRM Target: 9
Boil Length: 60 min
Mash: 152 F, 60 min
Fermentation: 68 F
Yeast suggestion: English Ale

Grist:
2 Row: 77%
Crystal 60L: 7%
Oat Malt: 16%
Mash Adjuncts:
None

Kettle Adjuncts:
None

Hops:
Centennial: Bittering, Flavor, Aroma, Dry-hop
Citra: Flavor, Aroma, Dry-hop

Punch the numbers into some brewing software. I use an old excel spreadsheet i made myself. You can use something like the "brewer's friend" website, there are plenty of others. If you dont know your efficiency, assume 70%, and adjust for the next batch if you were over or under your target gravity.

What giraffe said. It helps if you know roughly how much grist you need to get the OG. On my system for a 5 gallon batch it would take roughly 12 pounds of malt, total. I multiply that by 0.77, 0.07 and 0.16 and round off to get the weights of the various malts. I'd say 9 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of Crystal 60L and 2 lbs of oat malt as a rough cut.

Hop schedule is more of a guessing game. I'd say 60, 15, and 5 minutes, with 1/2 oz of Centennial at 60, then 1/2 oz of each at 15 and 5, with another 1/2 to 1 oz of each for dry hopping.

At 75% efficiency Brewer's Friend says that makes OG = 1.059, FG = 1.014, IBU = 40, SRM = 9. That's pretty darned close. The gravities are a little high, so you might tweak the malt slightly, and maybe cut the hops a little. Then you'd have to brew it and compare to the original.

It sounds really tasty, BTW. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back