Turning a mini fridge into a mini freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionicbelly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.
I am going to start storing frozen yeast, and I want to use a mini fridge to keep my vials in.
I know it will get pretty cold, as in it has the capability to freeze pretty hard, but I want to make sure I can get it down to around -20C (-4F). I have some inkbird 308's, and was going to use one for this fridge. But, I am not sure if this will work, since the thermostat for the fridge will probably kick in at a lower temp than what I want.
Is there a way to disable the thermostat, and rely solely on the inkbird?
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I know absolutely nothing about refrigerators.

If you can gently tilt the freezer plate so that it is flush with the back of the freezer, that will turn the entire fridge into a freezer. I did it to one once to convert it into a ferm chamber.

You have to do it slow & gently because if the refrigeration line kinks or breaks, it will ruin the fridge.

I don’t know the max lower temperature.

If you can gently tilt the freezer plate so that it is flush with the back of the freezer, that will turn the entire fridge into a freezer. I did it to one once to convert it into a ferm chamber.

You have to do it slow & gently because if the refrigeration line kinks or breaks, it will ruin the fridge.

I don’t know the max lower temperature.

Any tips on doing this other than going slow?

Any tips on doing this other than going slow?
That’s about all I got.

if it starts to resist, stop and let go. It will spring back a little. Then try again. You might have to do that several times to get it all the way back.

mine was held in place with 4 screws: 2 front & 2 back, that fixed the plate into the side walls. I removed the screws and slowly and gently tilted it until I had the plate close to the back.

I’ve done it twice to this fridge. I don’t dare do it again.
543915C5-9D11-424C-925A-2F3AF2132F6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back