Turnaround a saison in 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffLacoy

Reaction score
Just had our 3rd boy, so wife can join the party again. Planning on having people over on the 26th and wife wants the keezer well stocked. Racking my brain for something to brew that I can have ready in reasonable time.

Will be all grain, and going in a keg.

Never done a saison, but seems like it can be reasonably acceptable with little conditioning. If possible, going to hit lhbs this evening and try to brew tonight or tomorrow morning.

Want to do something in the 3.5-4.5% abv range, guess I'll get whatever yeast character I get based on yeast availability. Being so low gravity, could I probably just pitch a vial of liquid yeast with no starter or a vitality starter?

Already have a big iPa done, a hoppy pale for my wife, and a standard English bitter, so want something a bit different, and keep away from a ****load of hops again. Lol.

Yay or nay? Roll the dice, and at the very least I get a nice fall beer out of it?

You get a saison turned around that quickly. I would just recommend staying away from the Dupont yeast (WY3724 / WL565). It is known for stalling out and sometimes taking high temp and more time to get to FG. I doubt that would happen in a low-ABV beer, but since you have guests coming on a schedule, I'd not risk it.

Some say that Belgian yeasts work better with slight to moderate underpitching. So maybe just a smaller 12-24 hour starter to get the yeast moving at high krausen would be enough for that ABV.

Have a local brewery giving me a pitch of their house yeast. He recommended a grisette, 98% pils, 2% acidulated. 90 min boil, gonna use 3/4oz Northern brewer at 60, 3oz saaz at flameout. Looks like 4.2abv and 25ibu. Mash at 148. Look good?

Back