The Fastest Saison alive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thiagoedwardo

Reaction score
Hi, just to share this experience, i challenged myself to try doing a really fast beer to drink with some friends on a event that was very near (i had 10 days). I decided to try a very fast saison, with no temperature control for fermentation.
Got and OG at 1.038 (i targeted higher, but i chilled if by diluting with ice, and miscalculated), and inoculated with fermentis be134 at 30ºc (yes, i know) and let it do its thing inside a turned off refrigerator.
The fermentation went very fast, like, VERY FAST, in 24 hours it was around 1.006 and it was done, yeast started to settle, i waited another 12h, turned the refrigerator on and used some clarifying agent to make it drop faster;
After another 12h (so now 48h from fermentation start) it was at 0ºc and i started bottling, with 10g/l of priming table sugar for bottle conditioning ( oh yes, im doing it the hard way).
Trying to get a faster carbonation, i turned a bit the bottles 2 times a day, just turned it upside down and back, to make the yeast go for a walk. after 2 days tried one, if was flat, and the banana flavor exploded on my face.
2 more days (so now its 4 days of conditioning, and 6 days total) i opened and that hapened:
saison.jpg

Perfect carbonation, the banana flavor is still there, but a lot less, now i can totally say if was intentional as pass by. Some cloves too. It tastes very "belgy", and still too fresh, some easty smell, but fadding away.
Overall, its way better than i expected, and the wife said she loved it, so at least that gone well!

Glad you're beer turned out better than expected.

I kind of doubt that it was truly finished at 1.006 though. At "only" 84% aparent attenuation, the BE-134 probably still had some more work to do. And it's a diastaticus strain, so the last few points would likely be a bit slow in coming. I'd recommend keeping these bottles very cold.

I kind of doubt that it was truly finished at 1.006 though. At "only" 84% aparent attenuation, the BE-134 probably still had some more work to do. And it's a diastaticus strain, so the last few points would likely be a bit slow in coming. I'd recommend keeping these bottles very cold.

Yeah, I tend to give my Saisons 3 weeks in the fermenter. I find that my WLP565 (the strain I use the most) bottles still gain a little bit of carbonation as they age. I usually target them for 3.0 volumes of CO2 an use thicker bottles.

Glad you're beer turned out better than expected.

yes, i forgot to mention that i brewed at a hotter temp, trying to finish it earlier and give it some body.
But i agree that it could still have some small work to be done there, i used most plastic bottles because of that

they are all very cold now, so i think im safe from it getting more carbonation. But will come back here with more information when i open some more on saturday.
Hungry yeast doesn't care about temperature. Hungry yeast keeps on eating anyway. Yeasts are tougher than we think.

opened a new bottle yesterday, the carbonation and the gravity was the same for now. But i really doubt things will change too much at near 0ºc. But you managed to scare and i will make the sacrifice off drinking the glass botles as fast as possible!

Back