Turkey Leftovers....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melana

Up to no good....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, in my household it's turkey time (basically the month of November) and I'm stuck with a few pounds of leftover turkey to get rid of. Does anyone have some recipes that they would like to share with me? My creativity is lacking these days.

Portion out the amount you would enjoy for a sandwich and cut it into nice bite sizes, drop it in a skillet and add a bit of barbecue sauce to reheat it and mix. Add any extras to it you may enjoy - onion, scallion, mushroom etc.. slap a piece of cheddar or swiss on top to melt and put it on a nice roll. It ends up kind of like a pulled pork sandwich. I do it now and then to boring deli meat for guests.

It's mega easy and can break up the monotony of a turkey sandwich with stuffing.

Turkey Tetrazzini gets my vote. Onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, chicken stock, cream, wide noodles, turkey. Sweat the veggies, mushrooms and garlic. Make a roux, then add the stock. Add the cream after stock thickens. Add the turkey to warm. Serve over the noodles. You could also place everything in a casserole once done and bake to thicken even further and/or melt some cheese on top. I have thrown in cream of mushroom soup if I didn't have cream and/or stock on hand (not as good, but passable).

Saw the tetrazzini on allrecipes the other day too. If ya don't mind cheese and turkey, make a classic homemade macaroni and cheese. Cut turkey, ham and italian sausage into chunks and add to it. I do this with chicken normally but if it sounds good, its a very enjoyable meal. Goes a long way too.

I like to make stew out of leftover turkey & gravy with fresh veggies & yukon gold taters. Serve over rice or egg noodles. Or cut the turkey in small pieces, Roll the stuffing in small balls & use on a pizza with marinara sauce & smoked, aged provolone. I've even used cold, leftover turkey in a sort of salad with lobster or that fake crab cut up in it on hotdog rolls.

Creamy Turkey and Rice Soup
BarBQ Turkey Sandwiches
Sandwiches...
Turkey Salad Sandwiches

That's all I got for now. We usually have about 2 days worth of leftovers and I expect to send a lot of our leftovers home with the MIL.

Turkey stroganoff.

Diced celery & onion sautéed in olive oil. Toss in cubed turkey with parsley and other herbs. Maybe mushrooms. Mix in cream of mushroom/chicken soup and sour cream.

Serve over rice or noodles.

OMG this sounds fantastic.

OMG this sounds fantastic.

I dunno if it's actually stroganoff. But my mom made it a lot when I was a kid.

Haven't made it in years. But this thread triggered a memory of it. :)

Gonna make it this year. I'm smoking an extra turkey just for leftovers...

Soup is the easy choice, and probably the best way to get rid of the bones and the meat in the same dish.

If I had leftover turkey in my fridge right now...I'd probably steam some jasmine rice, stir fry some veggies, and toss in some turkey right at the end with some soy sauce/hoisin/srirracha. But then again, I could easily eat stir fry just about every day :D

Turkey rice soup - throw the whole frame in slow cooker overnight with onions / pepper corns / bay leaf, remove carcass next day, add more turkey meat carrots, rice, eat. We always do an extra turkey just for soup, which we bag and freeze.

Also, turkey can be canned. I cook it first, then process in a pressure canner. Then, you can use it later in sandwiches, plain or in a turkey salad. I make the following turkey salad. I like it a lot.

180434d1392772795-anyone-canning-turkey-turkey-salad.jpg

_mg_7601-61720.jpg

_mg_8894-64181.jpg

Might be a little over-complicated, but a restaurant here in Milwaukee makes the "Compact Turkey Dinner." (This place is known for cool, funky menu items. They're also known for having great beer on tap, including kegs of Bell's beers that normally don't leave the brewery.) Anyway, the Compact Turkey Dinner is billiard ball-sized balls of mashed potatoes, stuffing, chopped turkey, which are then battered and fried and served with turkey gravy.

We have been making this for years and its delicious: "The Great After-
Thanksgiving Turkey Enchiladas" on epicurious.com. Its so good that if we don't have leftovers because we went to someone else's for Tday, we buy a turkey breast to make it the day after.

ingredients
3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups finely chopped onions
1 28-ounce can enchilada sauce
5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chilies*
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups coarsely shredded cooked turkey
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
12 5- to 6-inch corn tortillas
*Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce are sold at Latin American markets, at specialty foods stores and at some supermarkets.
preparation

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add enchilada sauce, tomatoes and chipotles. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Mix turkey, 11/2 cups cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup onions and 1/2 cup cilantro in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook 1 tortilla until pliable, about 20 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Spread 1/2 cup sauce in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture in center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas. Arrange seam side down in dish. Spoon 2 1/2 cups sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake enchiladas until heated through, about 30 minutes.

Rewarm remaining sauce in saucepan over medium-low heat. Transfer to sauceboat. Serve enchiladas, passing sauce separately.

Turkey stroganoff.

Diced celery & onion sautéed in olive oil. Toss in cubed turkey with parsley and other herbs. Maybe mushrooms. Mix in cream of mushroom/chicken soup and sour cream.

Serve over rice or noodles.

That's Turkey a la King. My wife makes that. It's delish. Add peas for color, otherwise it's mostly yellowish bland looking.

A good leftover turkey dish is “Turkey Divan”.

This is basically turkey with broccoli in a white sauce with cheese on top and put under the broiler.

There are a few versions though, ranging from what might be classified as a “7-11” version ... to a long-winded french version.
I’m not big on the version that uses canned soup (yep, the “7-11” convenience store version”) ... some like it though ... no doubt served with Richards Wild Irish Rose, ahem.

Back when Turkey Divan could be found on restaurant menus, some restaurants used a mid-grade recipe for Turkey Divan that used a white sauce, wine & nutmeg. It was tasty... and it was popular. I’ve included a similar recipe below.

On the other hand, the version I’ve made at home is the version we served at a restaurant I was Chef at. This might be thought of as the fancy french version.

to give you some idea, a general description of that (fancy) version involves :

To make the Divan Sauce, combine ...
Supreme Sauce (from scratch)
Hollandaise Sauce (from scratch)
cream
Sherry wine
Brandy
Nutmeg

For this high-end version, the process looks something like this ...
Start with 8 lbs of chicken bones to make your Stock ...
As a flow-chart of sorts ...
Chicken Stock (incld mirepoix & Sachet d epices) >> Veloute Sauce (from the stock) >> Supreme Sauce (basically veloute, cream, mushroom infusion and finished with butter) >> Divan Sauce (Supreme Sauce, Hollandaise Sauce, cream, sherry, brandy, and nutmeg)

In individual gratin dish (or large ramekin) put partially cooked broccoli sprinkled with good parmesan cheese, then put turkey pieces on top, put sauce over, sprinkle *patchwork* of parmesan & gruyere combination, put under broiler and bring to bubbling ... then sprinkle with a *patchwork* of Fresh Bread Crumbs (basically, decent quality white sandwich bread such as pepperidge farms etc, and pats of cold butter made into a medium crumb in the food processor) (note that this is *not* dry store-bought breadcrumbs) ... put back under broiler to brown, watching all the time.
The dish should have some spots of sauce showing through, some areas of melted cheese showing through, and some areas of browned breadcrumb topping. We also served this without the breadcrumbs. It is just a matter of preference.

Anyhow, in the interest of ease, here is a good "mid range" recipe ...

----------------------------------------------------------
Turkey Divan with Asiago, Lemon, and Nutmeg

cooked white meat turkey (not overcooked, so a center cut)
1 bunch broccoli, trimmed/peeled as necessary and cut into florets
1/2 stick (2 oz) unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock (preferably derived from 3 cups stock but reduced on the stovetop)
1/3 cup well-chilled, heavy cream
10 or so Tablespoons (about 2/3 cup) medium-dry Sherry or Chardonnay, your choice (sherry would be traditional)
the juice and zest of ¼ small lemon ... the juice is added “to taste”
1/2 cup freshly grated *hard* Asiago (or parmesan if you prefer)
½ cup grated gruyere
salt
¼ tea white pepper
Nutmeg

prep:
Cooked turkey - white meat, torn or cut into serving pieces

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water cook the broccoli until it is half-tender (say, maybe 6 to 8 minutes), drain.

In a heavy saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat, add the flour, cook on medium, stirring, for 3 minutes until flour is no longer “raw” and starchy taste is gone.
Add the stock , bring the mixture to a hard simmer while stirring... simmer, stirring occasionally approx 5 minutes to thicken. Add wine. Reduce heat.
In a bowl beat the chilled cream until it holds stiff peaks (chilling your eggbeater wisk too helps this).
To the veloute (the hot mixture), add the lemon juice & zest, add nutmeg to taste (until you can just ever so slightly taste it - approx ¼ tea), add the whipped cream, and season the sauce to taste with salt and white pepper. Combine gently.

Service:
Arrange the broccoli in individual serving broiler dishes, sprinkle well with some of the grated Asiago.
Arrange the turkey on top of the broccoli
Pour sauce over all to coat evenly (the level should be almost to cover)
sprinkle the mixture with the remaining Asiago and Gruyere.
Broil the dish under a preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat until the sauce and cheese is golden and bubbling.

Note that this recipe can be made without actually whipping the cream as well and just added as liquid ... though I think it is better whipped.
Also note that the sauce should not be too thin, and so you may have to increase the roux (the butter and flour mixture) as necessary depending on your results. The measures here, though, should be pretty close.

Leftover turkey meat (pulled or chopped), mix with a couple cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup, add only enough water (or chicken stock) to get it to mix evenly; you want it to be thick. Add your fav herbs; I usually use a bit of tarragon or sweet basil & a dash of soy sauce.. Pour a pkg (or 2) of frozen peas & pearl onions into a casserole dish & add sliced crimini mushrooms. Place a few pats of butter in with the mushrooms. Pour the turkeymeat/soup mix over everything & spread it around evenly. If you have some morels, chop 'em & sprinkle evenly over everything, if not, no worries. I've also made this with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top of the turkey/soup mix, slivered almonds and/or chopped hazelnuts are good too. If you like, you can add some grated cheese on top, but I like to sprinkle crushed potato chips on top. Pop it into a 400*F oven about 30 mins. If the top starts to burn, you can reduce het and/or cover with foil. Serve over rice or noodles.
Regards, GF.

My wife makes some kind of chicken casserole with stuffing, chicken, cream of chicken soup, and swiss cheese.

I am wondering how to put together a leftover turkey dinner casserole with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, mushroom soup...

My wife is always wanting to make "stuff" with the leftover turkey. I am always resistant. Just about my favorite thing in the world is leftover turkey sandwiches. No fancy recipes. The leftover turkey never lasts long at my house.

My wife makes some kind of chicken casserole with stuffing, chicken, cream of chicken soup, and swiss cheese.

I am wondering how to put together a leftover turkey dinner casserole with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, mushroom soup...

A few ideas...

Make it like a pasty.
300px-Cornish_pasty.jpeg

The items could even be kept separate (next to one another) in the filling so as you eat through the pasty you taste each item separately. The green beans could be made with the mushroom soup and onions to be similar to a "green bean casserole" as part of the filling.

Make it like a Shepherds Pie.
dscn1309.jpg

Info at ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

Make it like Lutheran Hot Dish.
small.jpg

Info at ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdish

Personally, besides I'd add a bit of butter to the ingredients for any of these.

Back