Trying to understand whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
If I do an extract + specialty grain batch, is there any significant benefit to whirlfloc?

Or is it primarily intended for all-grain?

Even if it helps make the beer marginally clearer, I'll try using it, because, why not? But if it does basically nothing, then ... well, I won't use it. lol

And a follow-up, I think my plan is to pretty much just dump the entire wort (post boil, after cooling) into the primary bucket, trub and all, rather than worrying about leaving the trub in the kettle.

If I do that, does the whirlfloc still do it's magic in the primary? Or is it only actually "working" during the end of boil and cold break, with the intent being to leave most of the sedimentation in the kettle?

If I do that, does the whirlfloc still do it's magic in the primary? Or is it only actually "working" during the end of boil and cold break, with the intent being to leave most of the sedimentation in the kettle?

Whirlfloc will defiantly work in the primary. I use it in all my brews and do a 3 week primary. Beers come out really clear, with nothing else, like cold crashing, gelatin, etc.

Whirlfloc will defiantly work in the primary. I use it in all my brews and do a 3 week primary. Beers come out really clear, with nothing else, like cold crashing, gelatin, etc.

But do you pour the whole shebang from your kettle into your primary?

That's the part I'm not clear on... if Whirlfloc works by allowing the brewer to leave more trub behind in the kettle? Or if it works by allowing you to leave more trub behind in the fermenter? Or both?

You have to try it for yourself to really understand. Lol! It's amazing! Good for AG and extract.

You only need half a tablet for a 5 gallon batch. Everything drops out in the fermenter.

I'm a "dump everything into the fermenter" guy. Never an issue. Some even say it's better. All I know is it's a lot easier.

:mug:

Can anyone compare whirlfloc to Super Moss? It's some kind of carageenan. It's what I use but I sure would like something more magical.

From what I have read, whirlflock is Irish Moss in a tablet form. And Super Moss is a more concentrated powder. I have used Irish Moss and Super Moss. I have always use one or the other so I don't know the difference of not using it. In the recommended dosage there doesn't seem to be any difference between Irish Moss and Super Moss.

But do you pour the whole shebang from your kettle into your primary?

That's the part I'm not clear on... if Whirlfloc works by allowing the brewer to leave more trub behind in the kettle? Or if it works by allowing you to leave more trub behind in the fermenter? Or both?

My kettle has a dip tube on it, but it's very close to the bottom, so yes, most of the whole shebang goes into the fermenter.

If you were doing a 3 gallon batch, I'm guessing a half tablet would be ok too? Maybe more than needed, but as I understand there isn't a problem with "too much" added, right?

That will work fine. I always forget to use half and just use a whole tablet for a 5 gallon batch. Half or whole, it wont be too much.

I use irish moss which is no brand Whirlflock. Think facial tissue vs. Kleenex. My understanding is that it helps to charge the proteins in you beer so that it sticks to other stuff and thereby clears your beer. I thought it sounded like magic pixie dust, too good to be true for such a small amount of stuff. It definitely works though. I don't think how much trub makes it into your fermentor makes any difference. I have had it both ways and the beer clears over time, in the bottle and in the refrigerator over a couple days. Beers I use irish moss in clear faster and better.

Back