Trying to put together a brewstand of some sorts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I'm trying to make brewing more comfortable and decided to use and shelf I had and convert it to a brew stand. Currently I brew 5 gallons.

I figure I would add heavy duty wheels, replace the wood with diamond plate sheets, right now I don't have a HLT but was thinking of either getting one and rig some sort of burner in that empty space on the top shelf for it or getting another Cooler and convert that to a HLT. What I do right now is heat up my mash water in the pot that's in the picture then once drained use another smaller pot I have to heat up sparge water. Hence wanting to make for an easier brew day by building a stand. I really want to go the cooler route since it's cheeper. A cooler and a pump would run me cheeper than a new pot a burner and a pump.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions from people who have gone through this already. I actually have more shelving of the same size so I can build a one tier system but I thought there would be a lot of wasted space. It's still an option though.

photo.jpg

I brewed for a long time with just a cooler kettle and pump. It worked great and it was compact.

Hmmmmmm, Didn't consider that, Not a bad idea. I can mount the burner on the shelf slap on a pump and be done with it.

So what your saying is 1 tier and you can transfer the hot water into the mash tun then transfer it back to the BK with the pump?

Thanks,

Daver I did something very similiar. I had a costco shelving unit and wanted a brew stand and had no money so I improvised. Mine is now complete. I could send ya pics later if you like. So.. I have a burner where your cooler is mounted flat across the shelf. I cut the legs off a banjo burner. I elevated the cooler above the 2nd tier( 3rd tier) I pump from tier 2, the hlt, up to the cooler to mash. I gravity down to a bucket for my first runnings because the hlt is heating the water for the sparge. After I sparge I dump the bucket into the Hlt which is now the boil kettle and gravity the sparge down and voila you start boiling. My last addition has been a 2nd burner where your tank is to eleiminate using the bucket for the first runnings. Works great, makes awesome beer. Pictures will better explain Cheers SW

Daver I did something very similiar. I had a costco shelving unit and wanted a brew stand and had no money so I improvised. Mine is now complete. I could send ya pics later if you like. So.. I have a burner where your cooler is mounted flat across the shelf. I cut the legs off a banjo burner. I elevated the cooler above the 2nd tier( 3rd tier) I pump from tier 2, the hlt, up to the cooler to mash. I gravity down to a bucket for my first runnings because the hlt is heating the water for the sparge. After I sparge I dump the bucket into the Hlt which is now the boil kettle and gravity the sparge down and voila you start boiling. My last addition has been a 2nd burner where your tank is to eleiminate using the bucket for the first runnings. Works great, makes awesome beer. Pictures will better explain Cheers SW

Pictures are worth a thousand words I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Back