Trying to drop ferment temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosesdanger

Reaction score
I just brewed up a 1.074 foreign extra stout. I pitched it on a yeast cake of wyeast 1084. I immediately put a blow off tube on since I put more liquid in it then I originally thought and I knew it was going to be a big guy.

My problem is that on the temp strip its running up in the high 70s. I have a couple cold packs around it. My ambient is about 70.

Anything to worry about?

I just brewed up a 1.074 foreign extra stout. I pitched it on a yeast cake of wyeast 1084. I immediately put a blow off tube on since I put more liquid in it then I originally thought and I knew it was going to be a big guy.

My problem is that on the temp strip its running up in the high 70s. I have a couple cold packs around it. My ambient is about 70.

Anything to worry about?

Set it in a tub or other container w/the ice and cover w/a wet towel. Evaporation off the towel will help drop temperature.

Their website says temp range 62-72

I have always been curious if that means the temp in the carboy or ambient. I assume it must be the temp of the fermentation.

I have used this yeast more than any other which is why I decided to pitch on the freshly used cake. Blowoff tube started up within a couple hours and is going super strong. Krausen is rising quickly. I was counting on those things from reading things on this forum but I haven't had to cool my krausen rise down from 78* before.

It's at 76 on the carboy thermometer now so the cold packs might be helping but any answers on the high temperature of the fermentation would be much appreciated.

:mug:

Higher temps will tend to favor increased ester production and fusel alcohol development. Fermenting in the high 70's will likely result in more intense esters. I find that above 80 and the hot alcohol flavors really begin to dominate.

Latest posts

Back