Trying to create a malted milk ball type flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DublinOhioBrewer

Reaction score
So, one of my favorite things about my childhood was maltesers which are essentially the Canadian / British version of a Whopper candy. I was fumbling around on some recipe websites when I came across an old recipe for malted milk ball Stout. The problem is the author of the recipe can't be reached and I had too many questions about how it was brewed and what style and what have you. So I've decided that my mission is to create one of my own.

I've debated back and forth multiple times about whether I should do this as a milk stout or as a porter. I know Porter's tend to be a little bit sweeter than Stouts and don't have as much of the bitterness from the grain selections. However, milk Stouts have better body to them which would probably be more conducive to the flavor profile I'm looking for. I decided on a porter... but im open to change..

Below is a chocolate porter recipe that I think would work well. Essentially, what I'm going to do, is go to Walmart and get a couple 13 ounce packages of either Ovaltine or chocolate Carnation malt powder and include it with 10 minutes left in the boil.

My questions to you experts are:

1) do you think starting with a chocolate porter or chocolate milk stout would be better for a base?

2) do you think that the malted milk powder would cause issues with head retention

3) would you add anything to the secondary (presuming a rack to a secondary, which I've never done - so maybe "dry hop" would be a better description).

4) finally, do you think I would be able to get better control over the flavor profile using extract or All Grain Brew in a bag?

I plan on doing this in a two and a half gallon batch so I can see how it turns out before I decide to make a full version. I did find some old milk stout recipes that added malted milk powder and some of them used two containers and some of them even use three so I'm going to use one unflavored and one chocolate flavored.

I would love some feedback on my endeavour.

Chocolate Malt Ball Porter:
AG BIAB (2.5 GALLON)
OG: 1.066 FG: 1.019 ABV: 6.15%
40.5 IBUs
35.7 SRM

Grain Bill:
4lb 8oz Maris Otter
12oz Flaked Oats
10oz Chocolate Malt
6.5oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 80L

Hops:
1oz EKG @ 60min

Other Additions: (@10 mins)
4oz Cocoa Powder
13oz Carnation Unflavored Malt Powder
13oz Carnation Chocolate Malt Powder

Yeast:
Wyeast Labs #1968 - London ESB Ale

BIAB MASH @ 153 - 60 Min, no sparge.

Had a friend that put whoppers in the mash and called it a whopperbock. Dont know his recipe but damned if that beer didn't taste like Whoppers!

Did you ever try this recipe? I was drinking a commercial beer the other day that made me think about this thread. The beer is Velvet Evil by Straight to Ale. It's an Old Ale that has an abv of 13% and it's aged on chocolate and raspberry's. It has a big malted milk ball aroma. Perhaps aging a beer on chocolate will give off a malted milk ball aroma.

Porters a bit sweeter than Stouts? I'm under the impression of the opposite. Stouts are a bit sweeter and porters are a bit dryer. Any clarification on this? Happy to be wrong.

Back