Trying to compute initial Malt Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gueron

Reaction score
I am attempting to do a saisson ale, and am trying to determine the initial malt bill (as described in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels). The book describes the concept of Target Gravity. I am unsure what that means. The type of ale I am doing has an original gravity of 1.048 to 1.065, and a final gravity of 1.002 to 1.012. Which one, if either, is my Target Gravity?

It will have a large effect on the malt bill, changing from around 325 GUs using the top end of the Original Gravity to 60 GUs on the top end of the Final Gravity (on a 5 gallon initial boil).

Thanks

You want to calculate based on the OG you're looking for, then compensate for your expected efficiency (you're not going to get 100% of the fermentable sugar out of your grain, you'll be doing well if you get 75%). Knowing what your malt will give you per pound of grain is the starting point (like 2-row will give a typical yield of 32 points per pound per gallon, at 85% mash efficiency).

Note that this is also looking at the pre-boil gravity, and then it's up to you to match that up with your boil time, mash volume, etc. to get to your target starting gravity just before you pitch the yeast.

Latest posts

Back