Trying to 'clone' Bar Harbor blueberry ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
...for a friend of mine who tells me it's his favorite 'beer'. Problem is, I've never tried it myself...

By reading the Atlantic Brewing company website, it lists the malts and hops used, and by reading Beer Advocate ratings, I kind of got an idea for color and flavor profile.

Here is what I came up with. It's a mini-mash/extract recipe for 5.25 gallon batch.

1lb Crystal 20L
1lb Munich light
1lb Pale malt
6lb wheat malt extract.
.75oz Target (60 min)
1oz willamette (10 min)
Wyeast 1010
2oz (or more, to taste) of Blueberry extract added at keg.

Steep grains in 1.5 gallons for 30 minutes @158. Sparge with 1.5 gallons @ 165.

60 minute boil.

OG 1.051
FG 1.012
5.1% ABV
33 IBU
8.1L

And? Any comments?
(reposted from beginners forum, where it dropped like a rock ;) )

Recipe looks good. I would lower the IBU so the blueberry comes through more and add more blueberry extract or a couple pounds of real blueberrys to the secondary.

Recipe looks good. I would lower the IBU so the blueberry comes through more and add more blueberry extract or a couple pounds of real blueberrys to the secondary.

Thing about kegging is that you can always add more extract.

I would stick with 2oz, and add more if needed.
My Sunset Wheat clone uses 2 oz, and the blueberry comes through very nice.

The blueberry flavor is strongly pronounced with this beer...during their tastings, they kind of rag on Seadog for making their's too sweet.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I bought the ingredients for it last night, and will brew it sometime over the next month or so.

Regarding the IBU's: From what I was able to research, this beer has a rather sharp hop profile for a fruit beer. I did drop it down to 30IBU, as I had to sub Northern Brewer hops for the Target.

Regarding the fruit profile, what I was getting from reading reviews is that the blueberries came through in the aroma, and the flavor was malty, without a huge blueberry flavor but what is described as a lingering 'tinge', that could be confused with hop bitterness.

Even though I won't care for this beer too much, it was fun to research it and put a recipe together for it.

Thanks again!

While I am not a big "fruit beer" fan, I have two family requests for this. One, my daughter, says this is the only beer she will drink.

Subbed

We visited the Atlantic Brewing Co. a few years ago. My wife loves their blueberry ale. I just started home brewing. I have my first batch (Guinness clone) in a secondary. I would like to make a Blueberry Ale clone and was wondering how yours turned out. Did your friend like it? Have you tweaked the recipe at all?

Has anyone tried this recipe? I'm looking for a blueberry beer recipe and years ago I tried the Blueberry Ale from Atlantic Brewing Co. and really enjoyed it.

I will resurrect this discussion. As a previous drinker of Bar Harbour Ale (my favorite), I must say this recipe is spot on! I tried the 2oz blueberry flavoring but probably added a little more than that. 2.5-3oz is fine.

I will resurrect this discussion. As a previous drinker of Bar Harbour Ale (my favorite), I must say this recipe is spot on! I tried the 2oz blueberry flavoring but probably added a little more than that. 2.5-3oz is fine.
What flavoring brand are you guys using?

What flavoring brand are you guys using?

Back