Trying to avoid banana taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So I just bought an extract kit from my LHBS. It is a Belgian Wit beer aka blue moon clone. I haven't brewed it yet and happened to be back at the same store a few days later and they had a sample I the same kit. It had a very strong banana taste to it. I dont like that at all. I assume it's from the esters? My question is can I brew the kit and avoid that taste somehow? I can switch yeasts if need be. Can't remember which yeast it was but it's Belgian wit beer smack pack. Should I switch to like a S-04 or S-05 for a more neutral taste? Or should I ferment at a higher or lower temp to avoid it? If I get that taste I will literally throw the whole batch out. I can't stand it at all. Deff not what blue moon tastes like.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Generally the banana taste comes from too-high fermentation temps, especially during the first couple days of fermentation. I'd suggest you find out exactly which yeast you have and Google the manufacturer's website. They usually have more detailed use instructions at the website than they have printed on the yeast package.

At the website look for the stated optimal fermentation temperatures for that yeast. Plan to cool your wort to somewhere in the lower half of that temperature range. Cool your yeast to within 10F of that temperature before pitching. Then hold that temperature for the first 5 days of fermentation.

If you do this you will minimize the production of any "off-flavors". However, some Belgian beers are known, even prized, for flavors some find off-putting. So the final product may not be to your taste even when brewed perfectly. You will just have to make up a batch and see how it turns out.

Good luck and cheers! :mug:

04 or 05 wont give you much of the blue moonish character. If you can control your fermentation temps you should be able to avoid any strong bananarama flavors. WLP400 seems like a possible option if you can keep your temps sub 70.

Banana taste comes from over stressed yeast due to under pitching. To reduce esters, simply over pitch by using a nice size starter. Temp does not directly affect ester flavor but will increase the flavors you have. Going with s04 or s05 will drastically change the flavor profile. I would over pitch and keep temps toward the lower end of the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back