Trying some new dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrap iron

Reaction score
My old fermenter fridge died after 12+ years of faithful use not long ago. After looking for a used replacement with no luck I bought a new fridge. I am now brewing more Lagers and have had some success. I brewed my first Bo-Pils a few months ago with WY2001 PC [ Pilsner Urquell ] with Czech Saaz hops that came out great and won a couple of medals. I got some dry yeast included in my rewards Fermentis S-189 and Mangrove Jacks M84. I found where the M84 is supposed to be Pilsner Urquell strain and will be trying it in another Bo-Pils. So any suggestions for S-189 and comments on M84 ? I've not used dry yeast since I first started brewing 17 years ago.
thanks and Prost

So any suggestions
Nope. Other than I like the simplicity of dry yeast overall. Those I'm using now I direct pitch them and use no aeration. Dry really simplifies brew day for me.

You might heed the caution on the M84 though if you want to brew a higher ABV beer.
HIGHER ALCOHOL BEERS: This strain will perform reasonably well in higher alcohol beer production up to 8% ABV. Beer of over 7% ABV will be slightly sweet, and the alcohol may be slightly hot
https://online.anyflip.com/ahfld/gkrh/mobile/index.html

I direct pitch them and use no aeration.
I've read that aeration is not necessary for dry which is good news to me since I really found it distasteful rowing and paddling my wort with a long-handled slotted spoon because of the random splashing outside the fermenter. Hit the wort just wrong and a loop of wort would go in any direction.
Haven't tried it yet but soon.

Back