trying not to boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Guys I'm trying to get 12 gl of wort so I can get 10gl of beer. I have a 15 gl keg for my kettle. And I know that ill need 12 gl after boil to get 2 6 gl glass fermenters to at least 5.5 gl to end up with 5 gl of actual beer. But I have to have at least 14gl at start of boil because of boil off. That means the keg is almost full and I'm worried about a boil over because I don't want to clean up the mess lol. I've heard of using wirflock tabs I just don't know when to put them in and if they will even work. Have you guys tried this? Any tips will help thanks. I plan to use irish moss at end of boil for clearer beer will the wirflock affect that?

use a spray bottle with cold water to mist the foam and turn the heat down. Or get some fermcapS

I haven't heard of using whirlfloc to prevent boil overs but I use a spray bottle with distilled water in it. I just mind the kettle when hot break happens and when I add hops. If it starts to boil over I spray the foam vigorously. The only time this method hasn't worked is when I wasn't watching the boil.
Cheers!

We really need a "sticky" on this!

I use a digital thermometer w/alarm set to 207*. When it goes off I begin to watch the pot w/left hand on the burner control and in the left hand a spray bottle w/water. When the boil begins I turn down the heat and begin spraying to keep the hot break f rom boiling over. Then when I dump in the 60 min hops I get ready to spray again. No boil overs in over a year w/this method.

I have to get a spray bottle. I thought whirlfloc was a clearing agent and had nothing to do with boiling over?

Does it matter if its distilled water or can I use the water I add to the boil in the first place?

I don't think it matters if its distilled or tap water. I use distilled because where I live there's a lot of chlorine in the tap.

I have to get a spray bottle. I thought whirlfloc was a clearing agent and had nothing to do with boiling over?

mikes is correct. Whirlfloc=irish moss, just a more refined brand.
My boilover prevention is simple - I watch the BK like an Eagle as it gets close to the boiling point. One hand on the regulator, a spray bottle in the other. Just as the hotbreak starts to form, I turn off the gas, give it a spray, and stir. Then turn the gas back on LOW, stirring or spraying as needed. After the break you really only need a low rolling boil.
No boilovers since Christmas 2011(my 1st batch).:rockin:

Fermcap - an eyedropper full when the sparge is done. I had one boilover on my third or fourth batch. Then I got Fermcap and have had 70 or so boilover-free brewdays. Even when I fill kettle like this.

image-307363185.jpg

+1 Fermcap S! Seriously, this stuff will blow your mind. I use 3 drops as the boil just starts going, and in about a minute, the entire cap of foam is gone! It works by breaking the surface tension and basically destroying the bubbles. It is held in suspension by the boil, and it settles out quickly once the boil is over. I used to worry about boil overs, and reading the above posts reminds me how stressful they can be, and how much work it can take to prevent them. Try Fermcap, one bottle will last you for years, and you can fill your kettle to within inches of the top and not have to worry, its awesome!

FermcapS is definitely the way to go. I used to do 8 gallon boils in an 8 gallon kettle. I would fill the kettle to within a half inch of the top and then add the last fourth gallon or so after a little boiled off.

It is great stuff.

When you say eyedrop full do you mean like a visine dropper full? Just trying to do thIs right.

I just use the dropper it comes with. I use about a drop per gallon. After you use it a few times you can tell if you have enough just by looking at how the top of the boil breaks apart.

Put a few drops in your fermenter too - it keeps the krausen in check and then drops out and becomes part of the trub. Oddly enough, last time I had a blowoff was that same batch where I had the last boilover. Got a bottle of Fermcap ($2) and never looked back.

The old method of adding a small % of your hops while the kettle fills is supposed to help but I've not noticed a difference. Plenty of headspace in my kettle so I just knock down the foam with a mash paddle. I'll have to try the water spray.

We really need a "sticky" on this!

I use a digital thermometer w/alarm set to 207*. When it goes off I begin to watch the pot w/left hand on the burner control and in the left hand a spray bottle w/water. When the boil begins I turn down the heat and begin spraying to keep the hot break f rom boiling over. Then when I dump in the 60 min hops I get ready to spray again. No boil overs in over a year w/this method.

This, except i dont even spray.

Proper control of your flame is key. In reality, to keep a rolling boil going you only need a very small flame.

Back