Trying a Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size14

Reaction score
I got the itch to brew again, so i stopped and bought a pilsner kit, I substitued 8 lbs pilsner grain for the 5 lbs malt extract, ( trying to convert this extract kit to an all grain) , I was suprised to see a 1 lb bag of corn sugar in the kit,( turns out it is the same kit as a creame ale except for the yeast). So here is my ?, should i put the corn sugar in at the begining of the boil? Not at all? and if not at all, would two pounds of Pale ale 2 row malt make a fitting substitute? Either way was also going to add 1/2 lb cara pils for more head. Got what i think is a pretty good setup for all grain, made several ales, trying to break into lagers. One more question, what should an average bock FG be? I got one at 1.022,,,,,,,

Hmmm, alot of questions generating alot more questions. What style of pilsner are you trying to assimilate? What is the yeast you are using? Why buy an extract kit if you're going to substitute all the fermentables with grain? If you're going for a traditional pilsen lager are you going to do something with your water?

# 1 The yellow tasty kind with a good wang to it,,,

# 2 Safe Lager 23

# 3 Bought the kit basicly cause it had the hop schedule in it, the yeast, and some corn surgar i didn't use, yeah should have just asked for the recipe,,,

# 4 yes heat it,, i went ahead and used my cistern water, figured a 60 min boil would surely kill anything in it,, it is also so hard you can barely get wet in it.

so i went with the grain instead of the sugar, ( 8 lbs pilsner, 2 lbs pale ale and 1/2 lb carapils), ran of 6 gallons, boiled 60 min. had a smidge under 5 gal. of wort, cooled to 65 was happy as a pig in $&*% to see a 1.062 og. I'll drink it reguardless : - )

Are you sure the 1 lb of corn sugar isn't just for bottling? (Not that you'd use the whole pound for bottling...)

What is the kit's stated OG?

Latest posts

Back