Try to Not Blow Up the House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwightCD

Reaction score
Hey All -

Long time beer enjoyer, first time brewer.

Aside from a bunch of help from my LHBS, I came across this forum in search for answers and to help me step away from the ledge while making some rookie mistakes on my first batch (a Belgian Saison). For instance, I thought it was a good idea to ferment in a 5 gal carboy, which I learned on here isn't the end of the world. I, however, put a piece airlock on it versus going the blow-off valve route. So at the risk of blowing up my beer, home, and marriage, I solved that issue, without any harm, so far. And now I'm going to leave it alone until the next step and I make more rookie mistakes.

Either way, it's already pretty addictive. I want to do another brew tonight since I feel that the second will go better than the first and the third will probably be better than the second, etc.

But, the prudent thing to do is ensure this first batch is drinkable...

"Learn from the mistakes of others - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself." -Martin Vanbee

Cheers,
-Dwight

1423598273067.jpg

1423579154076.jpg

Welcome to the forum! If you have a free fermenter then why not brew tonight? :p :mug: I find that having a "pipeline" of beers at different stages helps to ease the pain of playing the waiting game.

But, the prudent thing to do is ensure this first batch is drinkable.

Cheers,
-Dwight

I didn't find a question here but I can offer advice, you can never have too much beer so brew on and on!!! aside from any infections its all drinkable

welcome to HBT read read read we all made mistakes in the beginning

Welcome to the forum! If you have a free fermenter then why not brew tonight? :p :mug: I find that having a "pipeline" of beers at different stages helps to ease the pain of playing the waiting game.

well said!!

Well the bad news is that you're hopelessly hooked on brewing. There's no going back. You're right batches will get better and you'll get more familiar with the procedures for your system. Then you'll have a bonehead moment because you're too comfortable and not thinking properly. It's a right of passage.

Try to not be like be and have a pipeline capacity greater than consumption capabilities.

Back