"True-Top Cropper" Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Okay, so I picked up Essex the other day for an ESB, marketed as a "true top cropper." Fair enough, but with my OG so low, I didn't think I'd need a blow off tube. That is, not until I came down the basement this morning, and saw about a quart of Essex slurry all over the floor.

Questions: The airlock was filled with pure vodka, so I assume (hope) that nothing bad got in. However, from those with similar experiences, am I doomed? (I know, but I had to ask.) I guess there's more than enough yeast left in the fermenter to take care of fermentation? A few inches worth of krausen still remains.

I see no reason to worry. Those top croppers are awesome little buggers- and that amount of activity screams healthy, vigorous yeast. Even if a wayward bug made its way in, I stand firm by my claim that it will get outcompeted quickly.

Don't be surprised when you see a layer of Bisquick-looking slurry floating on the surface of the beer even after you've hit terminal gravity. Definitely harvest that yeast when you rack the ESB off. As a platinum release, it won't be around long and you may want to freeze some with glycerin for long-term storage.

Don't know if you've seen this picture of open fermentation at the Ship Inn, not far from you:

IMG_5848.JPG

Yeah, this yeast is a definite keeper. Smells fantastic. Indeed, funny little story:

I stayed home today, because we were having problems with the water pump and needed to get a plumber in. So I let him go at it, and went downstairs about half way through to see if he needed anything. Basement reeked like beer. I was thinking to myself "man, did this guy just pound a six pack of really good stuff?"

Then he left, and I saw the growing puddle at the foot of my better bottle.

Back