True sliding door cooler issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danzigman

Reaction score
I bought a true sliding door cooler used about a month ago. I really like it but it has two issues. The compressor sines to run more often than not and it makes a tremendous amount of condensation. I have the cooler turned to it's highest level (warmest) and it cools to about 38 - 40 degrees. The compressor runs all the time. The electric bill has made a jump because of it. There are no obvious leaks in the door seal. Anyone else ran into this issue?

These make horrible Air Conditioners. :D

You need to fill it with product as it was intended.

In our case, cases of beer, full kegs (water if need be), carboys (water) . . . etc.

Do that and see if doesn't settle down in 24hrs.
'da Kid

P.S. Welcome to HBT :mug:

First thing I would try in the thermostat. Maybe use one of the Johnson digital thermostats. If you want to try an oem stat, you could find one online by the model of the box. As far as the condensation, I am assuming you have it in the garage. I have a single door in my garage and the condensation picks up when the humidity is up.

The unit is almost completely full. It is not a full size case, it is one that would be between two checkouts at Walmart.

I have a digital thermometer in the box it keeps between 38 - 40 at all times. A little colder after it haven't been open in hours.

I currently keep it in my garage. You mention Johnson digital thermostats, are the thermostats pretty much interchangeable?

The next question is how did you find the box? If it was not in commercial use then it probably had a problem the previous owner didn't want to fix.
When you said it has a tremendous amount of condensation. Is this in the drain pan or are you referring to moisture build up on the glass door?

It came from a small store that closed down in January. The condensation is in the drain pan. The condensation has mostly stopped. I am thinking about re leveling it and see if that helps. I might also try to seal off the doors that are against the wall.

Use a Johnson thermostat. Stick the sensor in a bottle of water with a shot of vodka.

You should see it calm down alot.

Anyone? There are several Johnson thermostats I have not found one that works inline with a true cooler.

I have one of the big ones I double door that in 1/2 of it holds 4 kegs/ 4 taps. The other 1/2 of it we use for beer and soda storage. This thing is a TOTAL work horse. On that note. True are known for running long. I would say blow out the fans and the vents etc it always help mine. I think I would also turn it down to 36* and run it on the T-stat it came in the unit. as for condensation.... YEP mine is wet all the time. I have to wipe it out all the time! Not sure why that is but its in my garage and its hot as hell in there most the time.

Good luck man. I love mine. I am going to have to sell it here soon but its been a KILLER unit!

Cheers
Jay

Back