True Brew Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzman

Reaction score
I have heard that True Brew's Amber Ale is compairable to Dos Equis which is one of my favorite brews to drink during the summer months. I am wondering if anyone out there in HBT land has tried this kit and what your experiences with it are? My first attempt at home brewing was a Coopers Wheat kit. After 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and three weeks in the bottle I am very happy with the results. Now I am eager to start my second batch and have ordered the True Brew kit. Any and all responses regarding this kit will be greatly appreciated.

Stay thirsty my friends,

Fozzman

Started the kit on 2/28/12. Fermentation began at about 10 hours and stayed active for about 2 days. Will let things settle down now and transfer to the secondary on 3/4/12. If all goes well, two weeks in the secondary and then into the bottles. Stay tuned, more to follow.

Bottling my True Brew Amber kit on Sat. That will be 3 weeks in the primary. Did not bother with the secondary.

I had good luck with that one, but I don't know about being close to Dos Equis. I added about a pound of steeping grains that Rob at my LHBS recommended, and I did very well in a brewing competition with it. Taking 1st place in its category in my region.

I've had pretty good luck with the True Brew kits I've tried.

I don't follow their instructions for fermenting though, it looks like you guys already know about that.

car421; You are about 2 weeks ahead of me. Let me know how things turn out.

D0ug; Congrats on taking first place! I have my doubts as well with the comparison to Dos Equis. However, I have found a recipe for Negra Modelo which I might try. It is a lager and coming into warmer months, I am not really set up for lagering but maybe next fall.

Thanks for your responses.

My first brew, only 6 bottles left. At 2 weeks in bottle quite good, 5 weeks outstanding. Not like DE, though. More like an English Bitter (according to some Brits who have sampled mine). With 4 brews under my belt (not much, I admit), I would like to do this one again knowing what I have learned since then.

im not set up for LARGERING either but im gonna give it a try. Im gonna have to get a specialty largering fermenter and bottles and maybe a largering mash paddle;):D

Thanks for the responses mattne421 and vlucchetti. Even though I am thinking it won't turn out like DE, I am still excited about getting it bottled and giving it a try. Let me know how things work out scarfaceshim.

Decided to transfer to my secondary today. My OG was 1.044 and after transfer I took another reading, 1.012. Per the instuctions that is where the FG should be. Still going to let it settle in the carboy for about another 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back