Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
It seems to me that eveytime I bottle a brew or rack to secondary that discarding the trub is such a waste. What can be done with it and how long will it last?

That isn't trub, it's yeast. Trub is the stuff at the bottom of your kettle after boiling. The sediment at the bottom of your primary can be collected, stored in a sanitized container, and pitched into a new beer. Saves you money on yeast!

A good idea is to leave a little beer on top of it.

You can also pitch a fresh batch of beer right on top of that yeast in your primary. I typically brew every two weeks. On brew day, I sanitize a keg, transfer the beer from the primary into a keg, and transfer my freshly brewed beer onto the old yeast cake.

You can go through several generations without a problem. Just be sure that the yeast strain is appropriate for the next beer. Since I brew primarily English style ales, it isn't a problem. But you might not want to pitch a stout onto a lambic yeast cake. Not saying it won't be good, but it won't taste like a stout.

That isn't trub, it's yeast. Trub is the stuff at the bottom of your kettle after boiling. The sediment at the bottom of your primary can be collected, stored in a sanitized container, and pitched into a new beer. Saves you money on yeast!

If I do pitch directly on top will it need to be aerated or shaken to get it back into suspension or does the yeast do it naturally. Thanks for the clarifaction on the trub/yeast cake thing. I did not know that.

Yes. Pour your new wort on top of the cake, shake the hell out of it, aerate & wait.

Hunter

Do a search of other threads on reusing yeast. General consensus is that it is better to only use part (about a quarter) of the yeast cake for the next beer.

I've had good success with reusing yeast cakes, but prefer to rinse my yeast and then repitch from a starter; it's more controlled, and avoids the potential pitfalls of having all the liced dead cells still in there, as well as the trub and the hop matter.

If you're looking for something to do with the leftovers, why not use them for compost? Plants love'em.

According to my reading of more experienced brewers, not my own experience, pitching directly on a yeast cake is overpitching, which can also be harmful to a beer. It will lead to reduced ester production and loss of the yeast's contribution to the flavor profile. The exception would be first brewing a small beer (which is basically a big, tasty starter) and then pitching a big beer onto it's cake. Slight 'over' pitching may be used to achieve a cleaner profile if that is desired.

The solution is to remove some of the yeast cake for washing and/or storing and then pitch onto what remains. This is what I plan on doing with some of the beers I'm about to brew, because they all use the same yeast.

According to my reading of more experienced brewers, not my own experience, pitching directly on a yeast cake is overpitching, which can also be harmful to a beer. It will lead to reduced ester production and loss of the yeast's contribution to the flavor profile. The exception would be first brewing a small beer (which is basically a big, tasty starter) and then pitching a big beer onto it's cake. Slight 'over' pitching may be used to achieve a cleaner profile if that is desired.

The solution is to remove some of the yeast cake for washing and/or storing and then pitch onto what remains. This is what I plan on doing with some of the beers I'm about to brew, because they all use the same yeast.

So if I were to brew something like a simple, low-alcohol English Countryside Ale and then I wanted to brew a barleywine... I could just put my barleywine wort right up on top of the ale cake, aerate and then just sit back and let it get down to business?

So if I were to brew something like a simple, low-alcohol English Countryside Ale and then I wanted to brew a barleywine... I could just put my barleywine wort right up on top of the ale cake, aerate and then just sit back and let it get down to business?

You could but it doesn't make the best beer.
Better yet, take a little more than a gallon of boiled and cooled water, add to the yeast cake, shake, let set 30 minutes, then siphon into (8) sanitized pint jars (don't siphon the trub), put on boiled lids and rings, then refrigerate. Next brew session, decant liquid and add to your starter two days before brew day. For a barleywine, use Mr. Malty to figure the mL. of yeast slurry you need and proceed accordingly using your washed yeast samples.

This now doesn't seem like a waste since you can do 8 more brews instead of buying yeast.

You could but it doesn't make the best beer.
Better yet, take a little more than a gallon of boiled and cooled water, add to the yeast cake, shake, let set 30 minutes, then siphon into (8) sanitized pint jars (don't siphon the trub), put on boiled lids and rings, then refrigerate. Next brew session, decant liquid and add to your starter two days before brew day. For a barleywine, use Mr. Malty to figure the mL. of yeast slurry you need and proceed accordingly using your washed yeast samples.

This now doesn't seem like a waste since you can do 8 more brews instead of buying yeast.

Meh... that sorta defeats my purpose of wanting to immediately reuse a yeast cake. I'm looking to make the process simpler, and that's not simpler. If reusing a yeast cake isn't advisable, I'll just pay a few bucks for a packet or two of yeast and not worry about it.

Meh... that sorta defeats my purpose of wanting to immediately reuse a yeast cake. I'm looking to make the process simpler, and that's not simpler. If reusing a yeast cake isn't advisable, I'll just pay a few bucks for a packet or two of yeast and not worry about it.

You can reuse a cake immediately, just don't use most of it. Take a sanitized cup and scoop out a portion and use that to pitch. Throw the rest away. It will make better beer than using it all.
If you don't want to take 45 minutes to wash up samples for future use that's your choice. But buying dry yeast at $3.95 and liquid for $7.25 makes my 45 minutes of time well spent, IMO. I was trying to save you some money.

Latest posts

Back