trub layers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinoceroceros

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20121204_125944.jpg

I looked closely at the sediment at the bottom of my fermenter for the first time and noticed separate layers of trub.
Has anyone else noticed this, and if I were to harvest yeast, would I harvest from the bottom layer?
I'm not concerned with the way my beer fermented or anything like that, just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share

Not sure if you have or not but check out the sticky in this section on yeast washing. After you siphon off the beer you will have the layers of trub. Add your sanitized water and mix and let settle for a little. You only want to try and siphon off the top layer of yeast. The bottom layer is mostly hop material, protein material, and dead yeast, stuff you want to leave in there.

Cell counts I have done indicate that the only difference is density. The viability is the same on both layers. If you harvest from one layer and not the other you are selecting yeast based on how soon in flocculated. It doesn't have anything to do with how healthy the yeast is.

Cell counts I have done indicate that the only difference is density. The viability is the same on both layers. If you harvest from one layer and not the other you are selecting yeast based on how soon in flocculated. It doesn't have anything to do with how healthy the yeast is.

This is very interesting indeed!

Latest posts

Back