troubleshoot strange surface film out of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
I brewed a Maris Otter EKG smash with WLP001. This was part of a three part series this summer, with the other two being Amarillo and Centennial, and neither of those had these issues. Everything went exactly the same for each of these beers, but this one has a couple of odd features:

1) A slightly cheesy aroma and flavor, which seems to me like old/oxidized hops. Ive tasted beer from oxidized hops before and it seems like this might be the problem. Very annoying if that is the case, because I ordered them from freshops.com and used them right after I broke the vacuum seal. The Amarillo and Centennial I got from them were both very good.

2) A strange surface viscosity. This is the really perplexing part of it. There seems to be a bit of a transparent film on the surface after I pour from the keg, almost the texture of saliva. It actually will hold a few small bubbles beneath the surface, as they are not able to break the tension, which looks really weird. It's even more confusing because it is obviously less dense than water, floating on the surface of the glass, yet it was pushed out of the keg from the bottom through the liquid dip tube.

Anyone ever had a weird surface film like this?

I hate to have to say this, but it really sounds like a infection called ropey. Set a pint out on the counter overnight. If it gets thick, you've got a dumper.

Back