Trouble converting Coleman Xtreme 52 into MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
So I decided to pick up a 52 qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler to build my MLT (bonus, Kmart had it for $28). I decided I'd follow the directions from this page, and I've followed them exactly (except for using a 2" nipple, the 1-1/2" definitely wasn't working).

However, when I fill the rig with just water, it leaks quite a bit on the outside of the valve. I'm assuming that the rubber washer from the cooler isn't making a complete seal on the inside, but I have both attachments to the brass nipple completely tightened. Anyone else run into the same problem in the past?

Edit: I'm wondering if this line in the directions is part of the problem, though I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what part of the cooler that the author is referencing: "When I tried to insert it into the drain hole from the inside of the cooler, it would no longer fit. I had to enlarge the interior wall of the drain hole a little bit with a rotary tool"

Uh, so I just put in the original fittings that came with the cooler, and it leaks then as well. Manufacture's defect? I guess I'll be exchanging it tomorrow to see if that fixes anything.

Alright, for anyone that cares, it turns out it was a problem with the cooler. Brought the new one home, threw the conversion pieces in the spigot hole, and zero leakage!

Only problem is that I wanted to test this before putting the sealant tape on the threads... do you guys think that's important? I really don't want to take this thing apart and risk a possible leak after getting the sealant tape on there.

Glad you got it figured out. I recently converted the same cooler to a mash tun as well. Haven't had an opportunity to put it to use yet, but will soon.

I tested it before using the teflon tape and it leaked. Adding the tape to all of the male ends stopped the leaking.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Since it seems okay now, I think I'll let it be and check for leaks right before I try my first mash. If there are any more leaks I'll definitely wrap those threads in tape. Thanks!

Make sure to test it with hot water before going live if you haven't already. Simulate a worst case scenario mash (~160-170 for an hour or two). May find leaks that didn't show initially with tap water, and of course it's much easier to fix now than later.

Make sure to test it with hot water before going live if you haven't already. Simulate a worst case scenario mash (~160-170 for an hour or two). May find leaks that didn't show initially with tap water, and of course it's much easier to fix now than later.

Excellent advice; that's exactly what I did. Would hate to find out I had a leak with 12 pounds of grain and nearly 4 gallons of water sitting in the mash tun.

Yes, thank you 501irishred for the advice. I've had the MLT sitting with the hottest tap water possible for 2 hours and not a drop has leaked out. I didn't catch a temp reading at start, but from hour 1 to hour 2, the temp only dropped a few degrees, from 130 to about 126. Can't wait to try it out, though I think I might do just one extract beforehand to get myself back in the brewing game (it's been 10 months since my last brew).

Back