Tropical rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Hey everyone, putting together a tropical rye IPA - I'm aiming for something that is a fruit bomb with a hint of spice from some habanero/scotch bonnet peppers, and then taking it to 11 with actual mango and apricot puree in secondary. Here's my recipe as of now:

Batch Size: 5 gal
IBU: 68
SRM: 12
ABV: 7.2%
BU:GU: 1.07

Fermentables
- US 2-Row 7# 49%
- Rye Malt 4# 27%
- Light Munich Malt 1# 7%
- Crystal 20L 4oz 2%
- Carafa Special II 2 oz 1% (for color)
- Table sugar 1# 7%
- Rice Hulls 1#

Other
- Apricot puree, 3#
- Mango puree, 3#
- 3 Habeneros, deseeded/deveined

Hops
- Chinook, 1oz @ 60min 36IBU
- Amarillo, 1oz @25min 12IBU
- Mosaic, 1oz @10min 15IBU
- Citra, .5oz @ 5 min 5 IBU
- Chinook, 1oz @ flamout
- Mosaic, 1oz @ flameout
- Citra, .5oz @ flamout
- Mosaic, 2oz dryhopped
- Citra, 1oz dryhopped
- Amarillo, 1 oz dryhopped

Yeast
-GY054 Vermont IPA (Conan/Heady yeast)

A lot going on, I know, but I think if I can stick the landing this could be extremely tasty... that being said, any feedback from anyone who has attempted something like this? I've had a couple mango/habanero IPAs but haven't seen too many recipes.

Hey, I did a similar thing but without the fruit additions. It was a Rye IPA with Conan and all Tasmanian hops - Pacific Gem, Rakau, and Galaxy. Turned out awesome. Its super silky from Conan and the Rye. I'd say go for it.

The only advice I'd have is to maybe switch your dry hop with the flameout. I've found adding more than 2 oz or so dry hopping is a waste. You can get much more hop character by doing that same amount at flameout and letting it sit for a few minutes before cooling

I had thought about Brett Trois but plan on kegging and don't want to deal with the hassle of having a 2nd set of lines for it... but maybe if I decide to bottle I'll do that for Batch 2.

I had thought about Brett Trois but plan on kegging and don't want to deal with the hassle of having a 2nd set of lines for it... but maybe if I decide to bottle I'll do that for Batch 2.

Just fill your keg with oxyclean when it's done, then run it through the line. You can let it sit in the line overnight. That should take care of it.

Nothing says "tropical" like rye!

Rye is pretty potent. It is typically recommended that rye makes up a max of 10% of the total grain bill. You are at about 29%. I'd dial that back to at least 1.5 lbs and up the base malt accordingly.

Also, the table sugar is just like adding a couple shots of grain alcohol. Any reasoning behind that? I wouldn't think of "tropical rye" as a high ABV beer, I'd eliminate that table sugar.

I like the table sugar. I use ~7% in every one of my IPAs because it dries them out to let the hops shine through. You'd definitely want it in a RyeIPA because if you go above 20% Rye, things can get "mucusy" in my experience. I did a beer with 30% once and it was like drinking something the consistency of nyquil....ugh.

I like using flaked rye now because you can get more Rye bite without having to use a lot of it.

BTW if you haven't used the Conan yeast before, its outstanding. It performs well basically anywhere in the 60s and has a nice peachy flavor. I've gone up close to 70 and not noticed any bad flavors. Definitely save yourself some of that stuff. My subsequent generations have been getting +80% attenuation!

Nothing says "tropical" like rye!

Rye is pretty potent. It is typically recommended that rye makes up a max of 10% of the total grain bill. You are at about 29%. I'd dial that back to at least 1.5 lbs and up the base malt accordingly.

Also, the table sugar is just like adding a couple shots of grain alcohol. Any reasoning behind that? I wouldn't think of "tropical rye" as a high ABV beer, I'd eliminate that table sugar.

I gotta agree with moops here. Personally, I like rye with tropical flavors. It gives a good earthy, spicy balance. Not sure where you're getting that "recommended max 10%" from, there are plenty of beers that have far more. I think the sugar will be good to thin the body out, too, with that large amount of rye.

Back