Tropical Hops Combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDPR

Reaction score
SWMBO is slowly coming around to hoppy beers so I was going to brew IPA, but she prefers more fruity/tropical flavors.

Was thinking of pairing Galaxy and Pacifica, but wanted feedback on this hop combo and the ratio between them.

Anyone used these together?

I haven't, but I'm intrigued based on their descriptions...and my LHBS doesn't carry either, because of course it doesn't.

I do remembered getting some very nice "tropical fruit" flavors from the Amber Ale I brewed last summer (it wasn't super-high IBU, though). Sadly, they've rather faded...

I'll check my notebook when I get home and update you on the hop schedule (I believe that was the kit that called for Palisades, but they gave me something else because they were out of them).

[EDIT]Also, there's this.

Also factor in yeast choice and fermentation temperature. You can get some nice fruity esters from WY1272 and many English strains (along with excellent flocculation) if the ambient temperature around your fermenter is 69-72. Add a couple of degrees to the ambient temperature to estimate the core temp of your fermenter.

Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy/Pacifica are all good choices IMO.

Also factor in yeast choice and fermentation temperature. You can get some nice fruity esters from WY1272 and many English strains (along with excellent flocculation) if the ambient temperature around your fermenter is 69-72. Add a couple of degrees to the ambient temperature to estimate the core temp of your fermenter.

Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy/Pacifica are all good choices IMO.

I was planning on using Wyeast 1318 London Ale III actually (idea stolen from a Bear Flavored recipe).

I have a Fermwrap so temp isn't an issue. Have a Saison at 80 currently in a 58 degree basement closet.

Love Mosaic but I've used it so much I want to try something different. I'm one of those people that is just meh on Citra, sometimes I love it, sometimes it's cat piss. Nelson Sauvin is one I want to love but haven't had a version I've liked yet.

I wrote down 0.5oz Nugget at 45 min, 0.5oz Nugget at 10 min, and 2oz Willamette at flameout. I vaguely remember it being 50 minutes rather than 45, but I wouldn't swear to that.

...yup, it was 50 min.

Latest posts

Back