Triumphantly returning to homebrew after 10 month hiatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally decided to get back into things and planned to brew a scottish ale today. So the first omen of things to come was when I goofed up making my coffee and didn't have the pot installed right and coffee went all of the counter. I cleaned up and carried on.
Got my electric brew system all set to go, and measured out my water treatments while the HLT heated up. I can program it to preheat but for whatever reason decided not to the night before.
Listening to some music, making some final recipe tweaks, crush the grain - wow is it hot outside! Milling the grain is the only thing I do outdoors.
Clean that all up, and the alert signals its time to mash in!

Oops! Had the temp set wrong, and its not the right temp, too low, I want 156 F for this brew.

Re-adjust the temp and give the HLT and MLT a stir with the mash paddle to help dissolve the brewing salts.

Must've bumped the element in the HLT and notice after 10 minutes the temp isn't changing....

Yep, fried my first element. Brew aborted. bummer....

TD

I think it fried when I bumped it with my mash paddle. Was working fine until then. Its a Stainless 5500W came with my eBrew system from the place I bought the Control Panel: Electric Brewing Supply. I emailed Ryan and he already responded! I need a 1-1/2 socket to remove and replace the coil and have ordered a new element plus a spare for the future. Got these at brewhardware.com, which makes the enclosure for my elements.
Still feeling like a dope.
TD

Its a real scorcher out there today. Glad I was able to screw up my brew day in comfort at least!
Least I can start drinking early... get out the meat grinder for some burgers later. Drinking and 1 HP meat grinder- what could possibly go wrong next!

TD

I know the Johnny Verbeck song quite well!
Planning to brew next weekend once I get a replacement element, might be two weeks. Have grain in the Homer Buckets with the air-tight lids.
TD

Back