Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempestam83

Reaction score
Just bottled a 3-gallon BIAB batch of the Fort Point galaxy dry-hopped today. Smells like pure pineapple/grapefruit. I did a huge galaxy dry hop. The recipe I used from is from BYO with a few tweaks. Surprisingly little hops in the boil and whirlpool. Most of the flavor seems to be coming from the dry hops. Very excited to try this in a few weeks.

5 gallon full volume mash
3.2 gallons into fermenter
OG 1.56
FG 1.12

6 lb American - Pale 2-Row
1 lb American - White Wheat
0.4375 lb American - Carapils
0.125 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L
0.25 lb Flaked Wheat
0.125 lb Flaked Oats

0.25 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 10 min
1.2 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Whirlpool at 180 °F 30 min
4.2 oz Galaxy Pellet Dry Hop 5 days
0.6 oz columbus Pellet Dry hop 5 days

Safale 04 yeast

IMG_2934.jpg

I'm working on my own, trying to adapt that BYO recipe. According to Trillium's site, the malts used are 2 row, white wheat, carapils/dextrine, and C-15. They change up the aroma hops it seems but they tend to have Columbus for bittering. I was just drinking it the other day and its not very bitter. that BYO only has 19 IBUs and that seems about right. The bottle I had was the Mosaic DDH so I'm trying to replicate that one.

Your sample looks really good, right on point. Its a great beer!

I'm working on my own, trying to adapt that BYO recipe. According to Trillium's site, the malts used are 2 row, white wheat, carapils/dextrine, and C-15. They change up the aroma hops it seems but they tend to have Columbus for bittering. I was just drinking it the other day and its not very bitter. that BYO only has 19 IBUs and that seems about right. The bottle I had was the Mosaic DDH so I'm trying to replicate that one.

Your sample looks really good, right on point. Its a great beer!

Definitely one of my favorites. Mine came a out a little lighter than i anticipated. I used Caramel 10 instead of 15. Not sure how much of a difference that would make.

I was drinking a double-dry hop Melcher street last night and decided to put some on my refractometer. Given it was a little cooler than room temp, but I saw a gravity of 1.020. I knew it tasted a little sweet, but wow.

As for the color, yours looks dead on.

I've never had favorable results with us04, but I hope you have. Do you have an update?

I don't believe there are any flaked oats or flaked wheat in this. I also believe there is only one bettering charge and everything else in whirlpool and dry hopped.

Your color looks very close. Maybe a smidge more of the crystal or just source out 15 maybe.

Yeast should be WLP007 however. I believe that's exactly what they are using. I just did a 5-gallon clone of Congress Street thats currently in the keezer. I'd say its about 85% of the way there based on blind taste tests of friends.

I was drinking a double-dry hop Melcher street last night and decided to put some on my refractometer. Given it was a little cooler than room temp, but I saw a gravity of 1.020. I knew it tasted a little sweet, but wow.

I don't think that is a legitimate test unless you know the starting gravity and run it through the curve fit algorithm to account for the alcohol.

Very interested in any clone of any Trillium beer! I have brewed the clone on the recipe section for the Melcher Street and it is pretty good! Hoping to get up to the Boston area next month and score some of the real deal for comparison. Keep us updated on how this goes...cheers!

Refractometer for fermented beer is no good without calculations. I'm sure being cold and carbed up also inflated the number. I'd guess it's more about 1.012.

Very interested in any clone of any Trillium beer! I have brewed the clone on the recipe section for the Melcher Street and it is pretty good! Hoping to get up to the Boston area next month and score some of the real deal for comparison. Keep us updated on how this goes...cheers!

I'm going to brew up my clone version this weekend and see how close I get. I've had a bunch of bottles of Fort Point recently and can't wait to compare. You barely add a bittering charge. The stuff is like drinking orange juice.

What was your mash temp? This beer is "bone Dry" so I assume you are around 145 - 155 degrees for a Mash temp.

Sorry for my confusion, Is this recipe meant to yield a 3 gallon batch? or a 5 gallon batch? Ingredients are looking light, so assuming 3 gallon.

Answered my own question. 5 gal version would look like this
10.0 lb 2-Row (US)
1.5 lb White Wheat (US)
12.0 oz Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (US)
4.0 oz Cara 20L

tempestam83 how did yours turn out, can you compare to the real galaxy version?

I just bottled a Mosaic dry hopped FPPA version. the hydrometer sample tasted really good and I am hopeful it will be something close to the real one. I'll do a side by side soon.

2.5gal BIAB, 80% efficiency.
BrewPal says 1.072 - 1.020 for 6.8% ABV though mine got down to 1.011.
mash at 154, partly bc I think I lose heat just using a mexican blanket around the kettle

5lbs 2 row
12 oz white wheat
6oz carapils
3oz C-15

.5oz columbus at 60m
.5oz Columbus at 10m
1.25oz Columbus flameout
.75oz Columbus dry hop after 4 days of ferment
2.5oz mosaic dry hop after 4 days of ferment
Conan yeast

fermented at 67-68 for 10 days then bottled. I didn't raise temps to finish out because this was a 3rd gen Conan and it has been easily getting down to 1.012 area. Also bottle conditioning at 68 instead of 70 because I am concerned that too much warmth has been speeding up the aging of these NEIPA's. I think I got part or all of the above recipe on HBT I just can't find which thread it may have come from.

My digital refractometer measured a DDH Melcher at 7.7

For 7.2% ABV, my rough maths put it at 1.067 -> 1.012 (82% AA), which sounds about right for WLP007, low mash, and a bit of sugar.

My Mosaic FPPA version above is tasting great, well, at two days post bottling. Its in the ballpark of the real thing. Its a bit less hazy but still opaque, a little thinner, but it has a decent amount of the Trillium yeasty twang. It makes me wonder how much of that flavor is not yeast but how they use Columbus in the boil, whirlpool, and dry hop.

In this recipe he uses 5oz of Dry Hops (Pellets) which is totally awesome!

My question is does the usage amount change if these hops are in Cryo (LupuLN2) form??

My recipe currently uses using 6oz per 5 Gallons (Dry Hop) and I have 10 gallon batch. (12 Total Dry Hop Oz.)

Just wondering if it makes no difference and recipes can stay 1:1 or it like 85% usage amount vs Pellets because Cryo is much concentrated.

Thanks

[QUOTE

Just wondering if it makes no difference and recipes can stay 1:1 or it like 85% usage amount vs Pellets because Cryo is much concentrated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It's more like 50% usage for cryo.

Back