Trillium Dialed in clone recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update: I went with Imperial A24 organic yeast which is a combo of WLP644 and Conan, for an all organic brew. should be interesting.

Very happy how this one turned out. I kegged it yesterday and had the first pour. The yeast performed amazing. Pours like a grapefruit mimosa. Can't taste much of grape surprisingly, you wouldn't know I added 2L of grape juice if I didn't mention it. It is extremely juicy tasting with notes of orange, mango, grapefruit, and stone fruits. Very light bitterness. I think the yeast contributes or compliments the citrus and stone fruit flavors very well.

14718648_10209193700113922_6733250744363819997_n.jpg

I ended up keeping the grains and yeast the same as my post but I changed the hop schedule a tiny bit.

.75oz Columbus at 60 min
.5 Columbus at 5 minutes
1oz Rakau at 5 minutes
1oz Columbus at flame out
2 oz of Nelson Sauvin at whirlpool 20 minutes
1 oz of Rakau at whirlpool 20 minutes

additional ingredients:
Yeast nutrient

Yeast: Imperial A24

3oz nelson sauvin 3 days into fermentation dry hop for 5 days

2L Santa Cruz organic white grape juice @ 5 days

remove original dry hops @ day 8

1oz nelson sauvin 8 days into fermentation dry hop for 3 days
2 oz Citra mix 8 days into fermentation dry hop for 3 days

I want to add that I had 1 extra gallon that ended up going in to a 1 gallon glass jug. No grape juice went in this one, and the only dry hop I added was 1.5 oz of galaxy and was bottle primed. It is delicious. I think it is better than the grape juice one. Much better nose and fruitiness. In fact I am not sure the juice contributes to much after tasting the non juice last night. Just fyi

This is probably my most common recipe so i thought id update. This beer is sooooo good. Here is what I'm doing now.

100 ro water with 5g sea salt an built to 200 cl and 100 sulfate.

70% Pilsner
20% flaked wheat
6% carapils
3% acid malt
1% CRYSTAL 15

OG 1.072
FG 1.010

.25 OZ COLUMBUS 60 min
.1 galaxy 53
.1 galaxy 46
.1 galaxy 37
.1 galaxy 25
.1 galaxy 18
.15 galaxy 10
1.5 galAxy + 1oz nelson sauvin whirlpool 175º

3OZ Nelson sauvin day 3 of active fermentation
2 bottles sauvignon blanc day 3 of active fermentation

3oz galaxy 3 days before kegging

This is probably my most common recipe so i thought id update. This beer is sooooo good. Here is what I'm doing now.

70% Pilsner
20% flaked wheat
6% carapils
3% acid malt
1% CRYSTAL 15

OG 1.072
FG 1.010

.25 OZ COLUMBUS 60 min
.1 galaxy 53
.1 galaxy 46
.1 galaxy 37
.1 galaxy 25
.1 galaxy 18
.15 galaxy 10

Dude, this looks awesome, I'm going for it as my next brew. One question, though; when adding a wine what quality are you going for? A decent $15-20 bottle, or is the quality not as important and you can go with a cheaper $10 bottle?

Honestly i got cheap bottles at grocery outlet. They were from new Zealand 2014, i think 3.99 each lol

70% Pilsner
20% flaked wheat
6% carapils
3% acid malt
1% CRYSTAL 15

OG 1.072
FG 1.010

.25 OZ COLUMBUS 60 min
.1 galaxy 53
.1 galaxy 46
.1 galaxy 37
.1 galaxy 25
.1 galaxy 18
.15 galaxy 10

What size batch is this? 3.5 gallons? I'm curious because I'm trying to adjust the hopping amounts.

70% Pilsner
20% flaked wheat
6% carapils
3% acid malt
1% CRYSTAL 15

OG 1.072
FG 1.010

.25 OZ COLUMBUS 60 min
.1 galaxy 53
.1 galaxy 46
.1 galaxy 37
.1 galaxy 25
.1 galaxy 18
.15 galaxy 10

Alright, This version was brewed last night. I don't think it will be a good basis of a side by side comparison with JC's clone, because I over shot my water volumes by .5 gal resulting in over 6 gallons of 1.064 instead of 5.5 gallons of 1.070. I might cut back on the wine addition a little bit to compensated for the lower gravity. All in all though, despite being a little bit smaller of a beer than intended, it is freaking delicious already. I drink the whole hydrometer sample. My god, this subtle grain bill with all that galaxy...I can't wait for this to be done!

Added the wine and nelson hops for dry hop round 1. I'm really hating the fact that I don't have a kegging setup (or CO2 at least). I tried for at least an hour to find a way to add the wine without oxygenating the fermenting batch. Nothing worked so at the end of the day I added the wine to decanter and poured slowly from there to at least avoid the glug glug of pouring directly from the wine bottles. I don't think it was that huge of a deal as the spiedel re-pressurized once I resealed it, as the active fermentation is still ongoing, so that gives me some hope that I didn't oxidize the dry hops too much.

FFT is complete and I ended up at 1.016 without a wine addition which would put me (if my calculations are correct) and an expect FG of 1.013-1.014 with the wine addition in the main batch. I'm going to see what the gravity is post dry hopping with the galaxy (starting tonight) and if I'm in the 1.016 range, I'm going to bottle condition with just the remaining fermentables to again attempt to avoid oxidizing this beer. Fingers crossed this will be ready for drinking in about a week and a half. I'd love to have this as fresh as possible despite my bottling limitations.

If anyone here has made this a bottled instead of kegged and can give me any feedback, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Ok, elburrogrande, this recipe is ridiculous.

I bottled on Sat. gravity was down to 1.013, so I added a little sugar into the fermenter to get the yeast going before I bottled straight out of the fermenter. I've purposefully attempted to minimize oxygen in every step of this process, and its worked thus far. My guess is that I'll end up a little light on the carbonation, but I honestly don't care. I drank 2 bottles...full bottles, fresh out of the fermentor (it was cold crashed, so at least it was chilled). The look on my father in laws face when he had his first sip said all that needed to be said. This is the most refreshingly dry, best smelling, uniquely hop flavored beer.

The best way I can describe it is a hybrid between standard IPA and NEIPA that smells like citrus and tropical fruit, that has a light to light medium hop bitterness as a base (more so than you get in most NEIPAs and its very welcome here) and hop flavors that are somehow a mix between grape and grapefruit. And then you swallow and its this refreshing tannin dryness you get from a chilled crisp white wine. I'm telling you, this weekend I'm having friends over and this 5 gallons will be gone in an afternoon.

Kudos. Even if this isn't a perfect clone of dialed in (which it might be, I've never had the original), this is a top notch recipe.

Edit: Also I've never been able to drink a beer this young without it tasting green. I don't know if its the ingredients, yeast (WY1968) or the focus on low oxygen pickup, but this is ready to go straight out of the fermenter.

70% Pilsner
20% flaked wheat
6% carapils
3% acid malt
1% CRYSTAL 15

OG 1.072
FG 1.010

.25 OZ COLUMBUS 60 min
.1 galaxy 53
.1 galaxy 46
.1 galaxy 37
.1 galaxy 25