Tried a new Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimer

Reaction score
I just pitched Nottingham on my Light Pale Ale that I made on Saturday. I did a quasi-partial mash technique where I "rinse" the specialty grains in a 180 degree bath before discarding them and it gave me an extra bump of .04 gravity points (over the expect OG).

I used:
.5 # Vienna
.5 # CaraPils
.5 # Crystal Malt 20L
6.6 # Gold LME
1 # Wheat DME
.5 oz Northern Brewer Leaf 8.3% Alpha 60 min
.5 oz Cascade Pellets 6.7 % Alpha 60 min
.6 oz Cascade Flower 6.6 % Alpha 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 Min

OG 1.060

It was darker than I was hoping, but after I rack to the secondary, I'll probably use gelatin to clarify a little more.

In other news, the Pale Ale that I made around Thanksgiving was cracked open on Saturday. It had been in the Primary for 2 weeks, in the secondary with gelatin for 3 weeks and in the bottle for 2. Tasted awesome and light and still had 5.5% abv.

Soulive said:
:off: How'd you carbonate those bottles if you used gelatin?

I've used gelatin on all of my lighter colored beers to clear them and have never had an issue with bottle carbonation. It helps clear, but doesn't remove all the yeast.

Getting back to the topic at hand, That looks like it'll be a nice classic tasting American Pale. :D

shunoshi said:
I've used gelatin on all of my lighter colored beers to clear them and have never had an issue with bottle carbonation. It helps clear, but doesn't remove all the yeast.

Getting back to the topic at hand, That looks like it'll be a nice classic tasting American Pale. :D

Damn, wish I'd known that. Thanks...

I've used gelatin and I just pitch a couple pinches of dry coopers yeast when I bottle, it's worked perfectly.

No extra yeast on that last batch, I just pitched it over my weisenstephan yeast cake.

It does get a little cloudy from the weisenstephan, but it is VERY clear.

Back