Trick to removing hose from auto-syphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
Every time I use my auto syphon it's a pain trying to remove the tubing from my cane. Last night while pulling as hard as I could, the cane snapped rather then seperating from the tubing.

I cant be the only one with this problem, anyone have any tricks? Maybe Keg lub before hand, or soak in hot water before disconnecting?

I put the tubing on the auto-siphon just prior to siphoning, then I just make sure to remove it as soon as I am done transferring and have yet to have a problem. By removing it quickly, there is still some StarSan lubrication that aids it in sliding off the cane. I do remember in the past, if I let it sit on there for a while it would get stuck and I'd end up getting the razor out to slice the tubing off.

+ 1 to Ace. Try softening the tubing with hot water and don't pull it off, push the end of the tubing that's on the auto syphon. Pulling causes the tubing to stretch, making the diameter smaller, tightening it on the syphon.

+ 1 to Ace. Try softening the tubing with hot water and don't pull it off, push the end of the tubing that's on the auto syphon. Pulling causes the tubing to stretch, making the diameter smaller, tightening it on the syphon.

Always hated those damn Chinese finger traps!

I personally got the "next size up" for the tubing so it literally slides right on and off. Just use a little metal 50 cent clamp that I tighten over it to prevent leaks/bubbles. Much easier than trying to heat the ends and lube this and twist here and push that yadda yadda yadda.

I'm planning to try and modify mine by replacing the plastic Racking cane with my metal one. Not sure how it will work, and if the suction washers will work on the matal cane.

I have that trouble too. Been toying with the idea of making some sort of starsan/keg lube concoction to put on the racking cane prior to attaching the hose.

I just blow hot water threw it right after I'm done using it. I didn't know people took them off ever time they used them. Is there a reason for this?

Hot water helps, but you can also try wiggling the tube. Don't yank it straight off. Instead, pull it down a little, then up a little, etc.

Skip the pulling and pushing, and TWIST the tube on the auto siphon. If you do it after running the tube under hot water for a few seconds, it detaches almost right away and you can pull it off with ease. It works every single time.

Sounds a little backwards, but try it... it works

Next time you have it set up, before you go to remove the tubing... run it under a little warm water, give it a twist and PUSH it on a little further... THEN twist if off.. always works for me and comes right off.

Basically it breaks the seal, then lets you slide the tubing off

Not sure you need to remove the hose, unless you use it elsewhere in the process. To clean it I put it into my bucket with sanitizer and pump it through. Makes cleaning nice and easy!

Not sure you need to remove the hose, unless you use it elsewhere in the process. To clean it I put it into my bucket with sanitizer and pump it through. Makes cleaning nice and easy!

thats what I do - I never take it off

I used to take it off, until I broke it. Since then I've left it on. I immediately clean after use, and sanitize since I already have the sanitizer mixed up. When I use it next, I clean again, and re-sanitize.

After a few batches, I do a bleach soak and rinse as well just to be sure, those nooks and crannies are tough to get clean.

Depending on my usage I'll replace the tubing in six months to a year and when I do, I just slice the old end.

A slight pinch and a twist perhaps? How far did you put it on the cane? I don't know if my tubing is any different than anyone else's but it fits really tight and doesn't have to be too far on the cane for a secure fit.

Back