Tri clamp tool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m currently using a kegmenter with a tri clamp lid. The nut thingy is a royal pita to loosen/tighten. There isn’t much room to manipulate a screwdriver because the top is a fairly tight area.

Is there a special socket or other tool that would make life easier?
1637170517807.jpeg

You shouldn't really need to use a tool to get a good seal. Double check the clamp is round rather than oval. I had to return one of mine due to it being such a poor fit. Are you sure you're not over tightening and altering the form of the seal? I'd run a test with the keg filled with water to see if you get a good seal before potentially over tightening. If you find you do need to use something, try a short piece of wood or a metal punch, but note over tightening might alter the form of the seal and not solve the issue.

You shouldn't really need to use a tool to get a good seal. Double check the clamp is round rather than oval. I had to return one of mine due to it being such a poor fit. Are you sure you're not over tightening and altering the form of the seal? I'd run a test with the keg filled with water to see if you get a good seal before potentially over tightening. If you find you do need to use something, try a short piece of wood or a metal punch, but note over tightening might alter the form of the seal and not solve the issue.
Thanks for info. The first few ferments I hand tightened plus a rotation or so w a small screwdriver. I did notice a tiny amt if co2 leaking with my last ferment. I didn’t use keg lube or pay extra attention to the seal. I will once I tfer my beer to a keg.

It’s still a royal pain touse a small screwdriver just because of the limited space up top.

Yeah, keg lube too 👍 You using the black EPDM seals? I superstitiously rotate the lid a turn before clamping, just to make sure it's seated properly.

I’m currently using a kegmenter with a tri clamp lid. The nut thingy is a royal pita to loosen/tighten. There isn’t much room to manipulate a screwdriver because the top is a fairly tight area.

View attachment 749256

I've got a Kegmenter and I've never had to do anything other than hand tighten. Maybe try a new seal?

Hand tight will hold up to 15psi? I’m gonna check my seal and then put some keg lube on. I’ll try to hand tighten and check w co2.

Yes. I've never used a tool to tighten and I've had it with 30 PSI.

Great info. I’ll have to stop ham fisting the thing.
I hope I didn’t do any damage to the gasket.

Thanks everyone for the great info!

I think I'm going to get a couple more gaskets the next time I put an order in. That way they'll be on hand when this one gets iffy.

I do like the kegmenter and the ability to pressure ferment and transfer but have to admit that it can be a pain to clean. It’s also really heavy.

I also have an Anvil Bucket and that thing still gets used just as much as my kegmenter.

I do like the kegmenter and the ability to pressure ferment and transfer but have to admit that it can be a pain to clean. It’s also really heavy.

I also have an Anvil Bucket and that thing still gets used just as much as my kegmenter.

I love it. I rinse it out, then stick it on my home made washer that's filled with very hot water and PBW. If something is really caked on, I'll use a brush to scrub it real quick.

Nice! Do you pressurize to flush the floating dip tube, or do you take it off and rinse?

I take it off and clean separately. I got my kegmenter before it came with one, so I replaced the dip tube with a CBDS in it.

The posts gets PBW water recirculated through them.

Then a rinse and a starsan on the same contraption.

View attachment 749256
Gaskets are pretty cheap. I use the white Teflon with my triclamps. You shouldn’t have to use a tool for a good seal. I’ve seen blown out seals because people over-tighten them.

It a little pricey but if you got some extra cash I picked up a ss brewtech keg washer that I really like. It does an awesome job cleaning my kegs kegmentors.

Attachments

• 20211118_061332.jpg
    20211118_061332.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 15
I just got a 1.5 inch triclamp fitting and ring, it came with a silicone gasket that seems to be really good seal for this type of fitting. You might try one of those, but definitely shouldn't need a screwdriver to tighten enough to keep from leaking.

Back