Trellis in tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
I have 4 new plants I'd like to plant in the ground with a raised bed, to help with adequate soil. My land is very shaded, but I have a tree in the south that gets adequate light below it all day. Tree was pruned very high.... My thought is to install 4 eye bolts around 20+ feet (use my deer climbing stand to get up there, lol) then feed twine to the hop stakes and straight down the tree to lower the hops in the future for harvest. Hops spread out 3 to 4 feet apart.

I know I won't get a harvest this year... But, this late in season am I better keeping in planters or get in the ground where I plan for them to stay?

Will the eye bolts damage the tree? Is there any other concerns I should have?

my biggest concern is that they would somehow get a hold of the tree and keep on growing. They can hit 30 feet high. Then most of the good cones would be 20 to 30 feet up the tree and you may break your neck trying to harvest.

I think I can take the line up to 27 to 30 feet and then stake 8 feet out from the tree, to give a 15 degree angle or so. Would that keep from growing on the tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used a pine tree for several years. The hops would climb the rope 20' up and then another 10-15' into the branches. At the end of the year I would just cut the rope, pull, and the whole bine would tumble down.

The only problem I found was that the hops in the tree were more prone to aphids.

Back