Trellis idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
Looking for a cheap but reliable trellis design, was thinkin about using 3" cpvc but not sure which one would survive the elements best, thinking about a T design. Any help on which cpvc to use or even a cheaper easier way I'm open ears, will be making 4 T design ones and I got a rebar trellis I'm moving out of the back yard that hasn't been doing anything into the garden area or 2 cascades to go crazy on

I used a single 1" PVC pipe last summer for a teepee type setup last summer. I had 4 plants going up 4 lines and things got pretty shaky once it got top heavy and the storms of late August started. I'm putting some steel piping into the center this year as reinforcements. Not sure any of this helps other than to say that PVC can be pretty unsturdy. If that's a word.

I'm trying to come up with a design right now. I've seen a lot of great one's here but I'm kind of leaning toward this:

I plan on sinking four chain link fence posts in a 4 foot square pattern, about 3-4 foot tall. The local blue home superstore sells 21 foot sections of 1 3/8" chain link fence "top rails" that have a narrowed end (to slip fit into the next section of top rail when used for a fence). I will slip the narrow end into the top of the shorter fence post that are permanently mounted in the ground. At the top end I will build a 2X4 frame to keep the top square, and each 2X4 (side of the square) will extend approx 2 feet beyond the corner of the square. now I will have 3 feet separation from each (of the two corner plants) and 5 feet separation from each corner. I plan on growing four varieties and two plants of each variety.

I'll use those cheap carabiners to loop the top of the twine through and back down to the ground so I can lower the bine for harvest.

When harvest is over I can remove the long 21' sections and the shorter ones will remain until next year.

BTW, has anyone used hemp twine (100# test) for their bines?, I found some cheaper than coir twine and I thought hemp rope and twine was supposed to be durable through the elements.

Just did this for a guy in town

1398480735144.jpg

I'm trying to come up with a design right now. I've seen a lot of great one's here but I'm kind of leaning toward this:

I plan on sinking four chain link fence posts in a 4 foot square pattern, about 3-4 foot tall. The local blue home superstore sells 21 foot sections of 1 3/8" chain link fence "top rails" that have a narrowed end (to slip fit into the next section of top rail when used for a fence). I will slip the narrow end into the top of the shorter fence post that are permanently mounted in the ground. At the top end I will build a 2X4 frame to keep the top square, and each 2X4 (side of the square) will extend approx 2 feet beyond the corner of the square. now I will have 3 feet separation from each (of the two corner plants) and 5 feet separation from each corner. I plan on growing four varieties and two plants of each variety.

I'll use those cheap carabiners to loop the top of the twine through and back down to the ground so I can lower the bine for harvest.

When harvest is over I can remove the long 21' sections and the shorter ones will remain until next year.

BTW, has anyone used hemp twine (100# test) for their bines?, I found some cheaper than coir twine and I thought hemp rope and twine was supposed to be durable through the elements.

THE HEMP TWINE IS OVERKILL, SISAL TWINE WORKS GREAT The carabineers are going to have the hops growing through it [I tried it at 16 ft.] You might want to try to make the pipe so you can lower it with the bines or just make sure the top can be reached with your a frame ladder.

Back