Treehouse Style IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest difference to me between Trillium(I'm posting this as I sit at their taproom), and Treehouse, is the bitterness. Trillium is bitter. They loves their columbus. Treehouse, I believe, bitters with hop extract. Much less bitter.

I was able to get a six pack each of green and julius yesterday. My last few batches have been pretty close grainwise I think. That pineapply/peachy/mango fruit bomb is so hard to even come close to though...

I got the idea from The Mad Fermentationist blog and some reading on wit beers and kegging.

The last time I added 4oz of flour (I used King Arthur all purpose) in the mash with my grain, and added a tablespoon with 10 minutes left in the boil (only done the tablespoon part once). This was combined with a 75%/20%/5% 2 row/malted wheat/flaked wheat mash.

Compared to beers where I haven't done this (even with the same grain bill and yeast otherwise)... it is was much cloudier (I couldn't see through the bottom of a spenglau IPA glass), the mouthfeel was softer, and that thick juicy flavor that these style of IPAs are after was very prominent and upfront. I had one come on tap one week after a very similar IPA (without the flour) and the difference was night and day. That one didn't have the tablespoon with 10 minutes remaining as well.

The two beers I have tried this flour technique with haven't lasted more than 4 weeks, but they were still cloudy and juicy at the end of the keg. I'm going to try to keep one on tap for ~6 weeks to see if they clear at all next time around, but that will be incredibly hard to do.
Subscribed.

Amazed that people still think Treehouse is adding flour to any of their beers. No wheat or flaked adjuncts in any of their core beers either.

They are not "trying" to make hazy beers, it's a byproduct of what they do. It all comes down to water, yeast, and process.... and hops.

I'm also amazed people think their beers aren't bitter. I would bet Julius is 80+ IBUs easily and the doubles are all 100+. They are just so balanced that it doesn't stand out. It all works together. Trillium beers have a harsher bitterness due to all the Columbus but also their beers are much drier so they can be perceived as more bitter. To me if their beers were a little less harsh they would be much better. Their flavor and aroma is insane but the agro/dry/ sharp perception keeps them from being Tree House quality.

I see everyone talking about flaked wheat and oats but in mine I use flaked barley, oats and malted wheat. Any reason not to do this and what difference would I be getting? Thanks in advance!

I am not sure how people think either of trillium or treehouse as bitter. Unless I dont really understand bitterness. When I drink a "normal" IPA, you get hit right away with big bitterness. I never liked IPAs until I tried treehouse and trillium and now I love them.

Here's my result when just using London III and dry hop just before end of fermentation.

SxfrN6C.jpg

I know this is an old post but do you have the recipe that you used for this beer?

Back