Traveling To Steamboat Springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtn80

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going out to Steamboat Springs, CO later this week, wanted to know if there was any beer/breweries worth trying out in the area?

It looks like there are only two listed on this link:

Beer Expedition (tm) - Colorado Breweries : Steamboat Springs - Breweries and Beer Information

.....which is probably what I would have expected, given that it's a resort, buried pretty far back in the mountains. We were out in CO a week ago, and you can't go anywhere in Boulder or Fort Collins without tripping over a microbrewery or brewpub. OTOH, one day we also went up to Breckenridge, which is back beyond Loveland Pass, and had lunch and some suds at the excellent Breckenridge Brewery.

Great resource, I hadn't seen that site before. Will be a nice tool as I travel around the country.

I wasn't expecting a super long list, but I thought I would give it a shot. You wouldn't think we would have a large brewery range here in Portland, Maine, but somehow we actually have enough for this:

www.mainebrewersguild.org/BeerTrailWeb.pdf

Are you driving through or going anywhere else in Colorado?

We are flying into Denver, so we will be driving from Denver to SBS. We are staying in SBS for a week, hopefully doing a ton of hiking, so will probably be heading over to Rocky Mountain National Park, but I can't imagine we will be hitting any other cities.

If you're doing any hiking in the National Park, you could always hit the Grand Lake Brewery, right outside the west entrance to the park. Highway 40 goes up from I-70 over Berthoud Pass and northwest over to Steamboat Springs, and RMNP (and Grand Lake) are a short detour off of Highway 40.

Instead of taking I-70 to Steamboat. Take I-25 North to Hwy 14 and take that through Walden to Steamboat. May take a little longer but It's an awesome ride. Plus - you can stop off in Longmont, CO and hit Oskar Blues and Left Hand Breweries, cruise on up to Fort Collins and knock back a few at New Belgium, Odell's, and Fort Collin's Brewery. After that have your designated driver lead you stumbling back to the car and drive you on to the Boat. Also, If you want to go a little more out of the way Avery brewery is in Boulder and is well worth the trip.

all of those breweries dharmabuhm mentioned are well worth the added drive time.

Yeah, yeah!! Especially Oscar Blues-check out their new tap house-The Tasty Weasel. They are tapping a double dry-hopped Gordon cask Friday that would be amazing. If you do make it to Boulder-Mountain Sun Brewpub is also excellent!!

Coopersmith's in Fort Collins is the best brewpub I have ever been to...10-11 regular taps plus seasonals, plus cask, plus nitro taps. And great food. And you can walk there from New Belgium Brewery.

Eric

I agree about Mountain Sun. Incredible brews as well as the "Junk Burger". Too bad you're not going to be here for Mountain Suns Stout Month in Feb.

I'll have one for you this afternoon, as I'm headed up to Boulder for some Southern Sun pints before the Avett Brothers show at the Boulder Theater. Woohoo!

By the way, their black saison they brewed in collaboration with Avery this year (the van Demien) was heaven in a glass...

We are flying into Denver, so we will be driving from Denver to SBS. We are staying in SBS for a week, hopefully doing a ton of hiking, so will probably be heading over to Rocky Mountain National Park, but I can't imagine we will be hitting any other cities.

Oskar Blues is in Lyons, Real close to RNMP

I agree about Mountain Sun. Incredible brews as well as the "Junk Burger". Too bad you're not going to be here for Mountain Suns Stout Month in Feb.

Before moving to Denver I lived in Boulder for 5 years and went to the Sun religiously (just about every Sunday night and other days also). I remember when you could actually see the mountains and the sun from the Mtn Sun ( ahhh the good old days). One of the first times I saw YMSB was on a Sunday night back in 99 or so. I love love their beer but the menu has not changed in the 11 years I have been going there. Staff is awesome.

However, I am still a tad pissed because I entered a beer for the Stout Month competition last year and never got any feed back.

Still a great place. Ramble on Red, Java Porter, Colorado Kind, XXX...I could go on and on...

I'd give my right nut for a Colorado Kind Ale from Mountain Sun right about now.

no need to cut off your nuts my friend Boulder is what about an hour from you?. With that being said I may have to make the trek form Arvada to the SUn for a Growler while I wait for my starter to come alive

Yeah, I've decided to keep my right nut but I really don't use it much (I'm left nutted). Can't get in the car and head to Boulder 'cause I'm "working" but it is only about an hour from here.

I'll have one for you this afternoon, as I'm headed up to Boulder for some Southern Sun pints before the Avett Brothers show at the Boulder Theater. Woohoo!

QUOTE]

Saw the Avett Brothers thursday night for free in Steamboat. It was my third time seeing them (Vermont and Maine, back home). Amazing show, surprised that they played so much old stuff with a new album coming out next month.

Hit Oskar Blues in Lyon on the way here, they definitely don't distribute that stuff back east. Amazing beer, pretty good food too.

Nice! If you are out east and get a craving for Dale's Pale (I get these cravings a lot) then order the
Dale's Pale Clone from Austin Home Brew supply. It's just a perfect copy. I brewed it and then double
Dry Hopped. SaWheat!

QUOTE]

Saw the Avett Brothers thursday night for free in Steamboat. It was my third time seeing them (Vermont and Maine, back home). Amazing show, surprised that they played so much old stuff with a new album coming out next month.

Hit Oskar Blues in Lyon on the way here, they definitely don't distribute that stuff back east. Amazing beer, pretty good food too.

That Friday Avetts show was also amazing, tons of energy, great night overall. Just brewed up 10 gallons of Belgian pale ale and now I'm headed to Red Rocks to see the Flaming Lips. It certainly is a rough life living in CO...

Back