Traveling to Dayton, Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryham

Reaction score
Gonna be in Dayton for a week in early December. Can any of you Ohioans tell me where to find a decent retail beer selection? I'm not sure about OH, but i know here in TN, to buy any beer over 6% ABV, you have to go to the liquor store (crazy bible belt laws, and that's the least of them). Does the standard beer store in OH carry imperials? Also, does anyone know if OH can get any Three Floyds or Founders beers? We aren't able to in TN, and of all of the ones I've tried, I've never been disappointed. My buddies will be stoked to get some awesome bombers for Christmas. Thanks!

I'm sure you'll find whatever you're after in Dayton; after all, it's not in the "bible belt," an expression that may have had some currency in the half-century or so after it was coined by H.L. Mencken in the 1920's, but it's hardly pertinent today except as a pejorative.

As for the laws, liquor or otherwise: you have only two legitimate courses of action, either to abide by them or campaign to have them changed. They are what they are, and the most difficult thing about them to accept in a nation such as ours is that they are authored by.....us.

The laws keep up their credit, not by being just, but because
they are laws; 'tis the mystic foundation of their authority; they
have no other, and it well answers their purpose. They are often
made by fools; still oftener by men who, out of hatred to equality,
fail in equity; but always by men, vain and irresolute authors.

- Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592)

one additional note: if Belmont doesn't have what you want you probably can't get it in southern Ohio.

funny i'm on my way to dayton right now, in an airport...

Belmont Party Supply
2621 South Smithville Rd.
Dayton, OH 45420

they didn't have Three Floyds last time i was in Ohio but they did have Founders

Ohio sells up to 12% ABV beer in stores, we get pretty good distribution overall. I live in Columbus, so I can't speak much to the stores in Dayton, but if you get time to go to Fairfield (Cincinnati area) Jungle Jim's is a huge grocery store with a very large beer selection. Three Floyd's had to pull out of Ohio when they were having supply issues, and they haven't made it back yet.

Belmont is about 5 miles from the hotel, so it shouldn't be hard to find. The website is pretty sweet. I've never seen a beer store actually list and have info on the beers they carry. It'll give me something to look forward to while I'm stuck in the classroom learning Solidworks for a week. Now if i can find a decent brew pub on the south side of Dayton, I'll be set. I checked Google maps, there's nothing staggering distance from the hotel....:cross:

+1000 for belmont party supplies. Its walking distance from my house. "Brewtensiles" LHBS is next door.

being from Dayton, any brew pubs you can recommend for when i'm up there? I'd hate to either get stuck drinking good beer in the hotel room all week, or being forced to drink BMC all week if i feel like getting out.

You won't find 3F in Ohio--they they stopped distributing there a couple years ago. As has been said, Belmont party is your best bet. It's quite dingy inside and you might get mugged while getting out of your car, but the selection is the best. Try to make it to South Park Tavern and/or Chappy's taproom for a good selection of draft beer.

maybe i should have been more explicit there are several decent pubs in the oregon district......

maybe i should have been more explicit there are several decent pubs in the oregon district......

I honestly only go down there if I'm headed to see someone at Wiley's (great standup). I didn't like the few bars I have been to down there. Which ones you recommend.

Southpark tavern is awesome. Ruben pizza and 20 craft taps, need I say more

To be more Specific about Oregon District bars. The best selection is at the Trolley Stop, Blind Bobs would be close number 2 Dublin Pub number 3 After that Tumbleweed Connection and Oregon Express. Thats about it short of loud clubs. And if you want to eat at a brewpub you will have to drive to Columbus or Cincinnati. I'm sad to say their are no brewpubs currently in Dayton the last one left after a local smoking ban took effect. I do miss going to Thirsty Dog.

well, seem to have shown my age, haven't been up that way in several years esp. since the smoking ban.... but was only trying to suggest some nearby places for O.P......but Elshauno probably has it right. ;/

To be more Specific about Oregon District bars. The best selection is at the Trolley Stop, Blind Bobs would be close number 2 Dublin Pub number 3 After that Tumbleweed Connection and Oregon Express. Thats about it short of loud clubs. And if you want to eat at a brewpub you will have to drive to Columbus or Cincinnati. I'm sad to say their are no brewpubs currently in Dayton the last one left after a local smoking ban took effect. I do miss going to Thirsty Dog.

Ohh yea, I've heard good things about trolly stop. I actually won a gift card at the last Brewtensiles Brewout, but havent been to spend it yet.

Ohio sells up to 12% ABV beer in stores, we get pretty good distribution overall. I live in Columbus, so I can't speak much to the stores in Dayton, but if you get time to go to Fairfield (Cincinnati area) Jungle Jim's is a huge grocery store with a very large beer selection. Three Floyd's had to pull out of Ohio when they were having supply issues, and they haven't made it back yet.

+1. jungle Jims is all you need. People come from all over the country to go there. It's probably only 30-40 minutes from dayton. you won't be dissapointed. Yes, they do have Founders.

Jungle Jims is amazing, a 6 acre craft food store.

There's supposed to be a homebrew supplier in Yellow Springs, has anyone been?

The Main Squeeze, yes I've been there. They have a juice bar and a good amount of homebrew stuff. Its definitely worth checking out if your up that way. I hear Dave Chapel frequents that place for the wheat grass shots.

Back